Logo

BF8D cold start

wisemanb

My bf8d doesn't like to start when it is cold ( July and Aug.). dealer told me I need to pump the high idle while trying to start it. Typically I need to take the cover off and manually pump the high idle till it starts and feather it until it warms up. I still think they are blowing smoke! Is this a choke issue, carb issue, or even a spark plug issue? Any help would be appreciated as the next nearest dealer is 100 miles away. Thanks.

Did it ever start properly before ??--------How long have you owned it ??-------Do you run fuel out of the carburetor when not using the motor for a few weeks ?---Has the carburetor been cleaned ?

Not sure what you mean by high idle. Are you referring to the plunger with the boot on the side of the carb? If so, that is the ACCELERATOR pump and you shouldn't need to remove the cover to get it to pump. Just wide open the throttle grip and release then do it again. Are you using fresh gasoline? Avoid E80 fuel in this outboard.

Racerone has asked you some very pertinent questions as well and it will help us help you figure out the problem if you answer them.

On more than one occasion I have coached people on how to start the motor they just bought.---------------The fact is that most people only know how to turn the key / push a button in a modern car to start it.----------------Outboards require a bit more understanding of how motors / systems actually work.

The motor was on the boat when I bought it 2 years ago and has always done that. The gas is fresh and I don't use any ethanol. Mine is set up on a the remote throttle control and the high idle I am talking of is the bar beside the throttle control lever. What I am pumping would be the plunger. I usually pull the gas line and burn it dry when I am done each time.

There are some very small holes in the carburetor jets.--------My suggestion is to clean the carburetor.-----Not difficult if you take your time and ask questions.------------The model # of the motor does not appear to be complete.----------Verify that the choke is working as it should.---------Know of a female skipper ( near retirement age ) that starts an 8 HP honda leaning out the back of the sail boat.-------They are easy to start when all is well.

Last edited:
Back