Logo

Volvo AQAD40 flywheel water seep

mattock

Hi, we have a Volvo AQAD40D 165hp turbo diesel. It is coupled to a duoprop leg. I have noticed a drip leak from the flywheel grill that runs down the side of the housing. I have also had a sticky starter motor last couple of times out and am concerned they are related.

Where should I be looking to solve something like this? This occurs at idle and higher revs, will have to check flow when underway. The flow rate is a constant drip.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mat.

Piccy:
SAM_0691.JPG

I had the same problem but with slightly different model engine, still looks like the same. My crank case breather had a small hole in the top and engine hatch akkowed rain water to drip and enter fly wheel housing. Haden't run the engines for over a year and just recently started them up...had more rusty water slinging all over...ltook awhile to figuir out where and why..

BobT

Your bellows are shot, then driveshaft seals let go and allow sea water in the bellhousing. Flywheel spins when engine is running and teeth sling water into starter, destroying it in the process. Pull drive, replace seals (maybe bearings too if they are sticky), and get new bellows.

Other (less likely) option is simply excess water in the bilge (from rain/waves/etc), above lowest bellhousing level. Bellhousing is not sealed, and standing water in there will get picked up by flywheel and spun around

Last edited:
Thanks Stringer,

Sorry, should have put up the solution. Yes the bellows were shot, and as a result, the centre bearing required replacement. This was a surprise, as the bellows had been replaced only months before. Only explanation could be me cleaning the leg with a plastering scraper and pieced the bellows. Needless to say, I won't be poking around anywhere again (but I was careful, and it could also be a stick).

Went through 2 starter motors in the process. :-(

Only issue I have now is a drip from the seawater strainer. I have replaced the inner seal and greased the thread, but still a drip. Any ideas?

Back