Logo

Can't identify broken part near carburetor

mdrducks

New to forum... nice to have a group out there to help. Thanks!

I purchased a used 2006 15 hp honda with only a few hours on last week. The motor will be used totrolling for salmon. While hooking up a Controllking throttleadjuster, my wrench slipped and I broke the ear off a plastic partnear carburetor. The right side of plastic connects to plunger rod. See yellow arrow. The part is black plastic I tried to glue back together. Did not work. So I began trying to find part...

First, I checked the schematics onlineat the honda website, but non of the drawings I saw identified thepart I'm looking for. Second, I stopped by my local boat dealer butthe mechanic was off and the staff wasn't much help. The conclusionthey came to was I needed to purchase a new carburetor to replace theplastic part. Need help.

honda.jpg

Last edited:
Send a private message to JGMO (Jimmy). He rebuilds these smaller Hondas, and can probably help you out. Search this forum for discussions on the 15 HP Honda, and click on his post, which will take you to his profile and send your message.

Thanks for the referral chawk:)
Hi mdrducks, welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are correct, Honda does not service that part and will only provide it with a new carburetor assembly. S.T.U.P.I.D.!
I'm sure they will lose more than a couple of repeat customers over crap like this.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that the part in question isn't very critical to the operation of the outboard. It is the lever that actuates the accelerator piston. I could take that piston out of the carburetor and most folks would never know it is missing. Especially if you are primarily using the outboard to troll. As a matter of fact, they seize in the bore all the time and I find them that way with virtually no complaints about how the outboard is running.

If you are like me though, it will drive you crazy that it is broken. These little carbs don't cost much and having a spare to slap on in a pinch would be a good thing. In my opinion, this is THE BEST outboard of it's size for ruggedness and reliability with the exception being the carburetor. They are finicky little beasts that want pampering to remain unclogged. You MUST run clean, fresh fuel preferably with an additive like Sea Foam or Lucas and COMPLETELY drain the float bowl with the drain screw after running the supply line dry to achieve total reliability.

If the fact that the accel arm being broken doesn't gnaw at your psyche like a termite munching on sweet tasty pine, then you are not as anal as I am and you could use your outboard for many seasons to troll, as is, without even a hiccup caused by the offending part.

Your call.
Happy boating and good fishing.
jimmyd

Last edited:
Jimmy,

Thanks for the advice. I checked and found a carburetor for ~$180.00. Turns this into a very costly mistake. I am like you in that I want a new part, but hard to spend that kind of money for a piece of plastic.

I have prefiltered full that feeds both motors on the boat as well as add marine Stabil. Do you think Sea Foam or Lucas are better products?

A buddy of mine who runs honda bikes said they probably don't make the carburetor and that I maybe able to track the part down by identifying the the carb manufacture. Do you think that's an option?

Matt

The marine Sta-Bil should suffice. It's not something I use but I've heard good things. The prefiltering is admirable and good but DO NOT rely on that alone to take care of it all. I get many of the larger outdrive type boats with Mercruiser and Cobra's with V-8's that have big old water separators on them that have been neglected and that just makes a real mean "soup".

If you drain those Honda carbs as I described, you MOST LIKELY will NOT have any problems for quite some time. It's not so much the filtering as it is not letting them sit for more that a couple of days with fuel in them. Even if it's clean fuel.

Your buddy makes a good point. Those carbs are made by someone else as I recall. If you could go direct to them then you might score a better breakdown. All that stuff is so proprietary though that I will be surprised if you can and grateful if you let us know how to do it too.

Cheers,
jimmyd

I got nowhere today trying to locate that specific plastic piece... you name the place I called it!!! Looks like a new carburetor is the only option. I can't believe it. Be like buying a tire... having a bad valve stem, then having to buy a whole to tire to fix the valve stem. Not to push Honda under the bus but that is ridiculous! Is Yamaha the same way?
Anyone have a junk carburetor around with the plastic piece on?

Well - Stabil stabilizes e-10 gas and prevents phase seperation. To keep the carbs as clean as possible use a good carb cleaner - CRC, Sea Foam, or Yamalube Ring Free in your gas. Just follow the mixture directions on the container.

Back