Logo

2009 DF115 won't accelerate sometimes

Kasmira

Hi all, new member here, hoping to share some knowledge and also get some answers too!

I have a 2009 DF 115 4 stroke with just over 100 hrs on it.

Ever since new, we've had an occasional problem with the motor not wanting to accelerate, happens on most but not all trips. Probably best to explain what happens:

Motor starts normally when boat is first launched. Travel say 30 minutes to fishing spot, when we get there typically drift for 5 to 15 minutes with the motor turned off, then restart the motor and head back to the start of the drift line and do another drift. Most times, when we head back to the top of the drift we have a fair way to go so we accelerate up onto the plane and maybe run a minute or two until back at the start of the drift, slow down, turn engine off and start fishing.

The problem is that on most trips, sooner or later we will start the engine to go back to the top of the drift, it starts perfectly normally and idles fine, but when we push the throttle forward the engine will only accelerate slowly to about 3000 rpm and despite the throttle being pushed all the way forward, engine won't accelerate. But it's not misfiring or anything, it just lacks power and won't accelerate. We then back off, turn the engine off, wait for 10 or 20 seconds, and re-start, and then it usually runs fine, like nothing has happened - it will accelerate normally with full power, as you would expect.

One time it did the same thing when we first launched the boat.

We have double and triple checked all fuel lines, breathers, fuel bulb, filters and fittings and they are all fine. No codes are showing up on the ecu. Ran it on a portable tank with fresh fuel (we never use that E10 garbage in the boat), new lines and fuel bulb and made no difference. So we believe that we have eliminated fuel supply as the cause, and frankly, it just doesn't feel like it is starving at all.

We run a dual battery VSR system with sealed maintenance free lead acid batteries. They we new 18 months ago and are in excellent condition.

I would be grateful if anyone has experienced anything similar and any advice/ideas as to what the cause could be and how to sort it out. We are starting t think it has to be electronic, perhaps a intermittent fault in a sensor or something, or perhaps something in the ecu not working properly, but it has my Suzuki mechanic, who is one of the best around, and me both stumped.

One thing that's been suggested is that the batteries could be causing issues, as it seems that some of these calcium lead acid maintenance free batteries don't take charge the same as a normal lead acid batteries.

Anyway, over to you experts, am looking forward to getting your views.

Cheers

Grant

It sounds a lot like the vapor lock problem many of us have had on these engines. Try starting it for your next drift and while at idle, pump the bulb up firm, and then accelerate. If it is vapor lock, pumping the bulb will help the low pressure pump deal with the vapor and get the vapor separation chamber full of fuel. If this procedure does no good, it must be some other problem.

Thanks, but already tried that, and it made no difference. It really doesn't have symptoms of a fuel starvation issue, so it must be something else.

I am going to re-check all the battery connections today at both the batteries and the BEP quad VSR to make 100% sure they are all perfect. If that doesn't work might swap out batteries for a different type.

Beyond that, will have to start looking at the ECU or sensors. I am beginning to think a faulty throttle position sensor or maybe MAP sensor??? Ever heard of them being problematic???

Thanks

ML

Back