Logo

bf130 fuel injection pressure?

seacat

? should there be static fuel pressure for a few hours or is it normal for the fuel pressure to leak down to 0 after a few seconds? Thank You

As I remember, it does leak down. I can not remember how fast.

I usually measure with the motor running and watch what it is doing as I run the boat under load to duplicate the customers' problem.

If it stays up, then it is not a fuel pressure problem.

Mike

Hi mike thank you so much for all the help you provide to all of us. there does seem to be a rubber checkvalve in the end of the injection pump which once I freed up seems to be keeping static pressure on the system- not sure how long I'm testing it now. have 45lbs/sq inch50 during 2 sec start routine then 45 while cranking and running. I still have to squirt gasoline into the throttle body to get it started if it sits. Do you think it's the injectors. I have 150,150,150, and 135 on the compression. my cylinder walls were rusty and pitted. bought this thing at a navy auction and i'm trying not to throw money at it until I know the block is good then I may send it out for boring. do you know if honda makes oversize rings? thanks again. where are you located, are you on the east coast? Ill bring some business to you if I can drive there . John

Rusted and pitted walls are not good.

Some of the original 130s had cracks in the water passage. It normally caused a problem with #3 cylinder with water in cylinder.

There were also problems in the head with some of the ones that had the powerhead replaced.

Does it run ok after it starts? If so, the injectors are probably ok. If it justs fires with starting fluid, then you probably have an issue from your vapor separator to and possibly including your injectors.

The compression has me concerned. It should be around 199 or so. Do you have the throttle advanced all the way while you take compression?

Have you checked the valve clearances? How about a leakdown test?

I do not know of oversized rings offered by Honda. There might be something on the internet.

Working in a small shop in the Midwest, once we determine that the block has a problem, we would install a new short block if the customer can justify the cost. Fortunately, I have not had that situation yet. That said....the costs of the block and the labor may make the customer consider buying another motor. To change the block, everything on the lower side of the motor has to be removed before the powerhead is removed. Then you also have to make sure that all the old electrical parts are still good as well as the fuel delivery system.

I hope you got this for a really good price. I have not had much experience with the Navy, but the Coast Guard guys I deal with, run their engines for 1000's of hours, but they do regular routine maintenance. This one may not have been so lucky.

I wish I had more definite answers for you...maybe some of the guys near the ocean have more experience with high hour 130's and maybe have a source for what you need.

Mike

Back