Logo

2006 df140

tropicrows

Whenever I have checked my engine oil level it’s always been well above the top dip stick marker and I have always thought it had been over filled when serviced. So when I changed the oil myself, I took particular attention on how much oil to put in “5.5 litres according to the manual”. Upon checking (with motor vertical) its way above the top dip stick maker so what’s the go.. Have I got the wrong dip stick or is somethink else going on. I must add the motor is running fine.

I am told that many 4 stroke engines "make oil" especially when relatively new. I have a '05 version of your engine that I bought lightly used last winter. It was making oil at an alarming rate early in the year, but has largely stopped now. I put about a hundred hours on it this past year and believe it now has about 250 on it total. Apparently some fuel gets by the rings and is picked up by the oil. If you smell your oil it will likely smell of gas. I do a fair amount of trolling. My dealer said that that doesn't heat the engine up enough to vaporize the gas out of the oil. He advised me to run it fairly hard when ever possible to heat it up and help "seat the rings". It seems to be working.

Some have had a bad low pressure fuel pump that was leaking fuel into the crankcase, but I suspect your situation is normal. You can buy a 10* higher thermostat for your engine which might solve the running too cool problem, but many of these engines, including mine, have a vapor lock problem which could be made worse by running the engine hotter, so I have not switched thermostats.

My engine has over 400 hour on it, and it's not making oil. The oil level reading is incorrect straight after a oil change (5.5 litres), it does not increase with use.
I had a PM from another DF140 user and his is exactly the same. I suppect its the wrong dip stick or has been incorrectly marked.

Sorry that I miss-read your question. I changed oil a few days ago using a strange sized 5.1 quart bottle of Castrol, and a new filter. It put my level about 1/4" below full right after the engine had been run. Now that it has set a few days the level is right at full. I am not sure how so much oil can stay up in the engine, but time after running makes a difference in the reading, as does engine tilt of course. I think the lesson here is to not worry as long as it stays above the low mark. I have never tried to add 5.5 liters but I am sure that would overfill mine as well. I am more inclined to trust the dip stick than the figures in a manual.

Last edited:
Back