Logo

292 Oil pump question

brians

I recently finished the rebuild on my 292 and put the engine back inthe boat. Problem is the external oil pump leaks. It drips maybe 1/2 cup in a week just sitting there, no worse when running. It is very difficult to access behind the endine log, but it is possible. Question is if I just remove the three mounting bolts and the intake tube, will it just come out? Is there a long shaft that has to come out too? There is not much room underneath. Will the ol strainer in the pan stay in place when I remove the 3 bolts holding the intake tube to the pan? I don't want to pull the engine again if I can help it.

Brian

Wow! a 292 with external pump I had one of those in a 1959 ford station wagon.

I believe you can get that pump off without pulling the pan not certain been a lone time. Give it a shot if it works great if not your no worse off.

Is this unusual for the Marine engines? I have suspected that this was an automotive block with interceptor parts added, as there are no Intercepter numbers anywhere on the engine>

The only 292 I ever ran into was a ford it had an external oil pump (that liked to leak). The one I had was in a 59 ford so it was a round in the late 50s. That is the only time I ever had dealings with one. As for interseptor parts or numbers ????

Nixes mate

Back