Logo

B75K1 Removing lower unit

Doug Follett

My local outboard shop had a good lower unit for my B75. Turned out mine was cracked. A couple of questions....

1. I went gently on the removal of the bottom four bolt removal but I still twisted the head off of one of them. It was the one that has the shoulder. Same size head but after it goes through the case it becomes larger in diameter. Is this a one of a kind bolt? I don't see it in the parts fiche. I have a good chunk of it exposed now. Should I just put some vice grips on it and a little PB Blaster and twist it out?

2. The lower section doesn't want to come all of the way out. I removed the cotter pin from the shift lever and it has moved passed that but about four inches further out it hangs up again and doesn't want to come any further. Should I just yank on it or is there something else I need to tend to? I have tried some gentle encouragement but so far it seems caught on something

3. The lower unit was cracked right where it meets the section above it and was leaking water. The section just above is also cracked but only about a half inch and it's not very bad. Can I JB weld this or do I need to replace the whole section? I'm hoping the new lower unit I am picking up next week has both sections or that they will sell me the other part as well.

I hate working on old rusty motors.

The adapter on the end of the shift rod will not go thru a seal.-------------So remove more bolts ( 4 I think )and remove the housing that is above the lower unit.--------Then you can remove the adapter and the rest is " easy " as they say.

Thanks, I dropped the four upper bolts and found that the upper portion of the shift rod was threaded to the lower section. It's all apart now. One more question. There didn't appear to be any gaskets between the sections. Is that the way it is done or did the last person to work on it leave them out?

Thanks for the advice, racerone.
Doug, no gaskets by the looks, just clean up the surfaces and perhaps a smear of aluminium based antisieze and bolt them together.

After opening her up I'm finding that I need to replace both the lower section and the section just above it which is great because then I don't have to mess with the seized bolt issue. My local Outboard shop just happens to have a complete lower unit for my motor. He was willing to do some trading so it is still an affordable fix, otherwise I think I'd recycle it even though the top end looks to be in unmolested condition and wants to run. No gaskets between the lower sections, imagine that. sounds like something the British would do. I'm going to begin painting it this evening. I couldn't find any decals specifically for this motor but I did find a Honda motorcycle decal that was close and I can tape off the other areas. It won't win any points for original condition in the old outboard show but it's going to look one heck of a lot better than it did. Thanks for the help.

Back