Logo

2007 bf90d's different rpm at same throttle position

hughj11555

With the throttle's in same position I have different rpms on my 2007 bf90d's. Is there an adjustment I can make or do I have to live with it? I got them used and rigged but was never tested until i was able to take the boat out. Both motors run good. I have ordered the helm manual but figure with all experience on this forum someone will know if it can be adjusted or maybe another problem lurking. Any help will be appreciated.

You can try to adjust the throttle cable, but can't guarantee that you can help this out. Install new throttle cables is also a possibility, because one engine has a longer throttle cable, the amount of play in the cables differs. Otherwise you will need to life with it.

In what condition are the propellers? You don't say how much difference in RPM or if it's mostly at full throttle or at all settings. A set of unmatched props or one motor with a damaged wheel could account for quite a bit of difference.
Good luck.

Although it is probably obvious to you, if everything else is operating correctly, a difference in the trim of the motors can cause a difference in the rpms.

Mike

its like 300 rpm difference throughout a range fro 3000 to 6300. both props have 13 3/4 x 13 pitch , trim is same according to meters. props in good condition

Don't believe the trim meters. Play with the trim to see if you can balance it out. Also, not sure of the throttle linkage cables on the 90's, but on the 200's and 225's, you need to make sure each of the linkages are set up the same. The shop manual will show you how to do that.

the adjustment could not be done because cables were stretched? I swapped props between the motors and the problem seem to get much better, apparently there is a difference in prop characteristics! thanks for all the feedback.

intresting, on my 225 I swapped props wrong and when I throttled up the boat warned to go in reverse :) The love of counter rotation have to have to seperate props so best part is to carry spare I have to carry one for each motor..

your lucky if you can switch props from one motor to the other.

Still Jamie gave some good advice. I carry a spare prop, castle nut, castle nut washer, cotter pin, and thrust washer on my boat. That's from experience. Several years ago I got tangled up in some crab pots on the Chesapeake. Tried to reverse out of them, and spun off the prop. Had to be towed in. Embarrassing - and it ruined an otherwise good fishing day.

Back