Logo

Honda prop question

Aunt Bee

I have a 19 ft (19-65) Carolina skiff with a 3 blade-11 3/8 dia- 12 pitch alum prop. What effect on boat & motor would happen by switching to a 11 3/4 dia prop same other specs?? In other words, a larger dia prop does what ?? Thanks, AB :confused:

What kind of motor do you have? The key to prop selection is to make sure your motor attains the recommended rpm's at WOT (wide-open throttle.) If the recommended WOT is 6000 rpm's then you want a prop that gets you between 5800 and 6200. Note that newer outboards usually have an rpm limiter built into the ECM. For example, by Honda 225 has a limiter that cuts in at 6000 rpm. The implication is that your current prop may get you to the recommended rpm's at WOT, but that may be a function of the limiter, thus a larger diameter prop may also get you to the recommended RPM.

To directly answer your question, a one inch increase in diameter will typically drop your rpm's by approximately 200 rpm, +/- 100 rpm.

There is no formula for optimizing prop performance. You need to experiment with different prop sizes (diameter and pitch) on your particular boat.

Thanks for your speedy reply- Health & happiness to you & your loved ones. I have a '05-225 hp Honda but the engine & prop in question is a 1993 - 45 hp Honda on my 19 ft Carolina Skiff. Your reply has been most useful! Regards, AB --on the Ches near USNA, Annapolis, Maryland.

Back