Logo

Honda BF50 Remote control box conversion

sparky839

Hello, and Happy New Year to everyone! I just recently purchased a 2006 Honda BF50. It has a tiller mounted the one without the key switch. I just purchased a remote control box and plugged in the main harness round cannon connection. Hooked up battery. Trim and tilt works on engine switch, but it seems I have no power at control box. Can't get anything to happen. no lights , sounds or even trim switch working on remote, nothing. I'm assuming control box is not getting power but don't know why. no instructions came with control box. Is there anything that needs to be done inside control box? Can anyone please shed some light.

your ignition switch,white/black wire should have 12v, when ig sw is turned to on it sends 12v to the load/ black/yellow wire which should turn on the black and yellow to the rest of the system. i have the schematic right here if you want me to look anything up

Thanks for the info. I have no power on white/black wire at main harness connector. I have no power at any pins at the main harness conn. There is no power on either leg of the 15 amp fuse holder which has the white/black wires. I pulled the panel off the electrical box. i unplugged the white/black bullet vonn. i do have power coming out of one end (front of engine side) cant really see where the other end goes. I do have power at the 10 amp fuse. My trim and tilt is about the only thing that I can tell is working. Should I be worried now?

good 12v at the 10 amp fuse means you have 12v at the rectifier preceding it. try making a little jumper wire and touch the outbound side of the fuse to the white/black in the control assembly. this will bybass the 12v feed to the ign sw. next try sending 12v to the w/bl of the ign sw to see if symptoms change

Switched two of the white/black wires and got power to the remote and powered through the 10 amp fuse. Switched the two black/white wires from the start swiych on engine and now she cranks from the ignition switch. Swithed two gray wires from the engine mounted warning lamps but I still do not get any warning lamps or buzzing sound with ignition switch turned on. But she wlll start and trim/tilt work now from control box. almost there. thanks so far for all the help. Just one more step to go. Do the warning lights and buzzing sound do a self check when ignition is switched on?

Hey Sparky- They use to call me that when I worked for Xerox because to test for 110v I would touch wires to ground to see if they would spark but with transistors and intigrated circuits we can't do that anymore.Looks like the bf50 supports 2 lites and a buzzer.Green oil pressure lights when pressure is good and engine running-red lights if overheat occurs. My book does'nt tell me if the lites turn on for test when the ign sw is turned to on red is overheat which will turn to 12v by the ignition control module and the yellow wire turns to 12v from the icm if oil pressure is good. the buzzer gets fed 12v from bl/y from the ign sw and is grounded by the y/green on the icm. the grey looks like its on the same terminal as a bl/y from the ign sw which may or may not lite the two lites to test the lites when the ign sw is turned on. how did the 2 lites function before. if your control has 4 lites one is the alternator and the other is a malfunction indicator lite which the bf50 does not support.. good luck

The lights and buzzer do not come on when the key switch is turned to on for a bf50 carburated engine.

As Seacat says, the green light should come on when the engine is running with good oil pressure.

The red comes on with the buzzer if there is an overheat.

You can download an owner's manual for free from Honda website http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF50

It has a wiring diagram at the rear of the manual, which should help you in further troubleshooting.

Mike

Back