Logo

BF 200/225 Tilt Trim Motor removal

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Folks,

Does anyone have a trick for removing and re-installing the tilt/trim motor on a 225? The left rear bolt only seems accessible by removing the entire left side bracket. I just went through that process with a mechanic. I was just wondering if there was an alternative? The difference is between three billable hours from a technician, compared to a 1 hour DIY job.

Also, here is a serious money saver. The tilt trim motor is Honda PN 36120-ZY3-013 which cost $400.00 or more. An exact replacement is API PT607 NM (cost well under $200) EXCEPT for the plug which can be scavanged from the old motor. The API motor is wired in the opposite direction of the Honda motor, so when you rewire the plug connect green to blue and blue to green and test it before final installation.

Wow chawk_man!
A $200 savings tip!
You don't come across one of THOSE everyday!
Is that listed somewhere on here on marineengine.com?

Jimmy,

The API motor is available from many sources on line and off line. Doesn't appear to be available through marineengine.com. And, there is no cross reference to it anywhere I can find. The API cross reference lists I found on line were limited to the smaller Honda engines. See below:
Honda PN
API
31200-HW1-671
31200-ZV5-0130
MOT5010N
31200-ZV6A-0130
MOT5010N
31200-ZW1-004
MOT6000N
31200-ZW5-003
MOT6001N
31200-ZY3-003
MOT6002N
31210-ZA0-982
ST200ND
31210-ZE3-013
MOT18513
36120-ZV5-821
PT302NM
36120-ZV5-822
PT656NM

It so happens that the tech that replaced my TT motor was a Suzuki spe******t, who recogized the Honda TT motor as the same one used in the larger Suzuki's, and knew there was an API equivalent. (His dealer wholesale price was $122.)

So, we can add to that list, Honda PN 36120-ZY3-013 = API PT607NM (reversed rotation)

BTW - I disassembled the old TT motor to find out why it had failed. The seal on the drive shaft that interfaces with the pump had failed and allowed hydraulic fluid to seep into the brushes.

Last edited:
Chawk,

Did you find an easy way to get it off? Were you able to maybe raise the motor all the way and disconnect the top pin of the tilt cylinder and maybe tilt the unit out enough to get access to the bolts?

Sorry, I could not provide any input. We do not have any 225's in the lot right now and I have not had to change a 225 t and t yet.

Mike

Hi, I'm Marco, Honda Tech in Italy. I did change the trim motor without disassemble everything, but I had the motor off the boat. Removing the upper pin of the tilt piston and keeping the PTT all up postion, then you can access the all bolts. But the motor must be hang by a lift.
In another extreme case, I removed the entire PTT on a BF130 without disassemble anything and without remove the engine from the boat.
But I need to cut the lower pin.
Then buy a new one, enlarge the hole on the right side, and riassemble.

Mike - We didn't think of that. We ended up supporting the motor from above and removing the entire left side of the transom bracket. In retrospect, your suggestion of disconnecting just the top pin of the tilt cylinder, and rotating it outward would have likely given us access to that fourth bolt on the motor. Live and learn. Happy New year!

Back