Logo

2006 Honda BF50a Tach HELP..

nate1

Ok I have a 2006 BF50A Honda tiller carbed. I recently had a teleflex tach with hour meter installed. I have it on the 3p 6c setting which is what teleflex recommends. I have tried 3 different props and the most rpms I can get on the tach is 4400, however, I am running 36 mph(confirmed with 2 gps's) and the motor sounds like it is turning up well past 4400...but not hitting rev limiter.This is with a 10.3" diameter 4 blade, 10" pitch. Boat is a 18' flat bottom aluminum hull.

I have tried all 6 different tach settings and all the others are even further away from possible. Teleflex said there was a module to help with bad tach readings on the hondas but it was for 2005 and earlier models...?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I hate to just replace a brand new $140 teleflex tach.....anybody else?

Has anyone used the module/resistor on any BF50's 2006 and newer with positive results?

I haven't touched more than 3 Hondas in a year. But for Yamaha, anything else just doesn't seem to work right, but Yamaha Tach itself. And I've come across more than 15 in a Year.
Good luck.

Have you checked the voltages at the IGN. and SEND terminals to see if they're nominal?
With engine running, IGN. should be 12 to 16 VDC

SEND should read 5-7 volts at 2,000 rpm on the ALTERNATING CURRENT scale of a digital multimeter.

Anything outside of these readings would indicate that the charging system won't support the tach's operation even though you may be adequately recharging your batteries.

I suspect that the Teleflex module would work on your year model but I'm not 100% sure. It would be wise to try and get an affirmative from either Teleflex or Honda before spending the money.

Good luck.

Need to know for sure whether it is a 2005 or 2006. What is the serial number on the frame?

If it is a 2005, the setting should be on the 3P 6 pole setting.
If it is a 2006, the setting should be on the 2P 4 pole setting.

Generally, the teleflex with the hour meter corrects any abnormality without the resistor assembly.

There is no set rule and I have found that the resistor does help on some even after 2005. I have discussed this with Honda and they think I am nuts and can not explain it.

I have gone a lot of what Jimmy D is explaining in a former post. I will try to find it and add the link to this post.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...ve-this-mystery...&highlight=honda+50+hp+tach

Mike

Last edited:
No I have not checked voltages, I will try to check that tonight and report back thanks

Hondadude- The certificate of origin says its a 2006 year model, I will check the serial number tonight

On the 2p 4c setting the rpms were very high, 6k at 3/4 throttle, at WOT well past 6k but I never hit my rev limiter and it certainly did not sound like it was turning up that high, so I contacted teleflex and they said the 3p 6c was the correct setting for my motor....you are the second person that has told me this is not correct...hhhmmm

Thanks for the link that does sound similiar to the issue I am having

Hondadude- serial number on frame is 3602249

Steve Jobs- is there a number for Honda tech support that maybe I am not aware of? Didn't see anything on the site that you could actually speak to a human...

I have not been able to confirm voltages yet, ran out of daylight

Thanks for the responses everyone

It comes up as a 2006. By the way, it appears to still under warranty until 06/23/2012. Unless there is something wrong with the motor, this issue is not covered under Honda warranty unless it was part of the original installation performed by a Honda technician.

I wish I could guarantee that the resistor assembly would work. All documentation says that it is not for that year. My experience has proven that wrong....but not all of the time. It would be a $30 gamble.

Honda will tell you to talk to Teleflex if all is right on the engine. I have talked to two different Honda tech reps, whose opinions I value and they can only say, that the resistor assembly should not make any difference for the 2006.

I am lucky, we keep one in stock all the time, so I can try it and if it does not work, it can put it back into stock.

Since you are trying to get to the right prop, check out the following Honda web site that has several different types of boat/motor combinations. It may help you get at least close to the correct prop. http://marine.honda.com/products/performance

Mike

Hondadude thanks for taking the time, greatly appreciated. I should have my hands on a "shop tach" friday and that will help me eliminate a few things. After that going to try the resistor.

voltages checked all sat.

confirmed on a shop tach that the 2p 4c setting is in fact the correct setting. Hondadude you were spot on....the tech support at teleflex on the other hand was flat out wrong and gave me bad info.

So now just need to go way up in prop pitch.

Back