Logo

'67 sea ray chev 305 elec shift

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hello gentleman , I have the boat running good , but had somthing happen that concerns me and I dont know what to do . Last week my son and I headed out of the bay to go after some rock cod..as we were going out to sea we hit a set of huge waves . going over the top of the first one we were airborne and came down hard. i couldnt turn around and had to take the next two head on and also came over the top pretty hard. it scared the bejesus out of my son and i but we were okay but now the boat is running wierd . whenever the swells hit the boat the rpms drop and then come back up. i went to the bay where there was no swell or waves and it ran fine until another boats wake came by and it did the same thing....steady rpms and then drop and rise again as the wave goes by . i suspect then first hard impact knoked something loose somewhere , but , i dont know where to start....any help is appreciated ...thanx in advance....dimitri

Maybe it is just normal.

You come over the top of the wave and the bow comes down first causing the motor to work harder, the you come back on plane and the boat runs normally.

Sounds like water in the fuel???You have a water/fuel seperator?
Sometimes carbs can hold water and when they get shook up they feed water into the system.
Check all wiring connections.J

thanks , ill check my connections..the problem was a direct result of the impact maybe broke a connection loose...i'll also check my water fuel seperator...dimitri

Disconnect the battery first. Make sure the cable ends are good and the battery posts are clean they might look clean but may in fact be coated.
Follow the neg cable to the main ground it will be on a thru bolt on the "bell housing " actually called the adapter housing. Remove and clean. That end good? Follow the pos, cable, remove and clean each connection as you go.
On the starboard side you will see the 2 main fuses in holders that pass thru a plate and have spring clips holding them together. The connections for the 2 fuses may be corroded.
The slav solenoid base is the ground remove and clean the plate and the base of the slav . While your there clean the posts and the wires.
The main harness plug held together with a spring clip remove and clean all the pin holes male and female ends.
Now you can hook back up the battery and take your boy for a ride.
Post back and tell us how it goes.

ahah !!! i wanted to post this to inform anyone who should care that i found the problem....loose connection on one of the solenoids....ill run it in a week or so and let you all know , but im pretty sure that was causing my problem....thanx ...dimitri

Back