Logo

removing lower leg

slumshine

Im trying to remove the lower leg on my honda b100 but but cant get the lower leg off. manual says to remove lowerleg bolts (done) and dissconect forward reverse linkage, does anyone know where this is done???

Hi slumshine!

The connector for the shift rod is up in the power head at the front of the engine. Move your shift lever up and down and observe where the rotating motion of the shift shaft turns to vertical motion and you've found it.

Some guys remove the charging rectifier to make it easier to get to the cotter pin and clevis pin that holds the shift rod. It's a tight squeeze.

Once the clevis pin is out, you need to unscrew the clevis from the top of the shift rod as it is too big to exit the bottom of the oil case with the rod. Try and count how many turns it takes to get it off so that you can get it "pre-adjusted" when you're putting her back together.

Did you get all 8 extension case to oil case bolts removed? Did you find the "hidden" one up by the exhaust? Make sure you have all 8 and don't force that case! It is brittle cast aluminum and it will break easily!
Good luck.

No need to remove the " 8 bolts " for the extension case !!-------Remove the pin at the top of shift rod.---------I find it easier on the older ones to remove the lower mount .----------------Then remove extention case and lower unit together.-----------------Then unscrew the connecter on the shift rod.------------------Then remove lower unit for water pump service.----------Actually quick and easy that way.

Thanks for jumping in racerone.
If he means extension case, then he needs to remove the 8 bolts. If he means gear case to service the water pump, then your advice applies. I should have thought of that so glad you brought it up.

There are no hidden bots to do this job.----Removing the lower mounts just makes it quicker with a battery powered impact to get at the bolts above them.--------I have done more than one of these .------------The newer Hondas have a connecter externally and it is much easier.

Back