Logo

Stringer Lower Unit External Oil Reservoir? Any one seen this set up?

leiniesred

New to the forum. I recently picked up a 1978 Cruisers Inc Gran Bateau with a Ford 351w 240hp with a stringer outdrive attached. I have started to go through everything, and the engine, other than a couple of corroded freeze/core plugs, is in good shape. So I am starting to look over the lower unit. On the lower unit there are 2 hoses running from the top fill plug on the upper unit and the top plug on the outside of the intermediate housing that run up to a "T" connector that then connects to a hose that runs in through the transom that runs up to a plastic oil reservoir that has an OMC label. Is this a system that may have been set up due to bad seals? Has anyone else seen something like this. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I have also noticed that the prop shaft is bent. Thanks

Nope love to see a pic of that. The shaft can be made straight again How bent is it?

I will get a picture out as soon as I can, may not be till the end of the week.
As for the shaft I don't know the measurements, but there is definitely a visual wobble to the prop when spun by hand. How difficult is it to remove the shaft? What is the average time a marine mechanic would take to pull the shaft? Just wondering because on some projects I can do the work in the same amount of time. Would I have to take the shaft to a machinist to have it straightened? Then I am guessing I would also have to pick up a new seal kit?

Thanks

Is this a SDN F/B boat by chance, and how much do you love the boat?
What is the length?

If you really like the design, and if it suits your needs, you may want to consider what the Stringer Drive represents.
This is not a drive that many people would want these days.
You will be limited to prop diameter as well.
Plus, 1978 was the first year for the mechanic shift.... of which was problematic in and of itself.
These are typically one of the more difficult boats to sell as a result.
No offense, but this is a rather sad fact.

If you love the boat, and are up for a project, the transom can be infilled and fitted for a true stern drive that would still allow for the Ford engine to be used.
Nothing wrong with a good 5.8L Windsor Engine.

We'd need more info on the boat in order to make a suggestion as to which drive to use if you were to do this.
The 5.8L can be made to work with either Volvo Penta or Mercruiser.

Food for thought!

Is this a SDN F/B boat by chance, and how much do you love the boat?
What is the length?

What does "SDN F/B" stand for? Sedan with Fly Bridge? This is a 25 foot that I would say is a sedan no fly bridge. I am in Wisconsin so this is a bad time of year to buy a boat due to the weather, but I came across this boat that is a project boat. I paid $650 for the boat and trailer. The trailer is a 1998 10,000# and is good shape, worst case scenario I figured if I had to I could part out the boat and sell the trailer and come out ahead. I am still in the stage of figuring out what I need to do to get it on the water. The Ford 351w is in good shape except for some corrosion on two of the freeze/core plugs, one leaks. Then besides the work on the lower unit, it just needs a good cleaning and refinishing of the wood work. The hull is in good shape, solid. At this point in time I would like to see if I can use the boat with the existing lower unit until I feel like sinking $$ for a different outdrive.

I believe that it has the mechanical shift. What was the problems with the mechanical shift?

Yes.... SDN F/B means Sedan flybridge.

The question would more suited if it asked what the good points are of the mechanical shift. Basically, none.
But there are many still working out there.

I understand your position, just get ready to pull the plug on stringer drive repairs, and use that money to fund the conversion.
The boat itself may be worth redoing.
It's a mixture of mechanical and carpentry work..... and may be fun if you're up for it.

Sounds like you're into it very inexpensively.
Should you do a stern drive conversion, don't let a bit of "upside down" bother you.
Boats are rarely investments, and are always expenses.

I understand the upside down culture. I know there are many stringers out there still running. I will have to start a reserve for replacement fund.

With the transom fill in you speak of, can the hole be filled in with a piece of wood and then sealed with glass. What amount of bracing would I need to do? Interested in the process for possible future reference.

Yes..... this is refered to as a transom core replacement.
It's nothing more than several layers of plywood with resin wet matting between, and mating and heavy cloth as a interior finish.
The end result forms a "Box Beam", of which is where the strength is gained.

Yes.... the outer most transom surface would also be fiberglass, but finished off with gel coat.

Being as your in fresh water,that's a BIG plus.
There are some older shops that will still work on them.The shaft if it's bent it probably wont be straightened.
Look for a good replacement.Or one for parts.
I think(maybe) the shaft can still be bought.Try Sierra.J

Alright, sorry it has taken me so long. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I figured out what the setup was for. I drained the oil form the intermediate, well lets just say I drained what should have been oil, it was filled with water. The reservoir tank was a mercruiser tank which was exactly what I thought it was for, to supply oil to the intermediate and upper since there are leaks. the oil in the upper was ok, but as I stated there was no oil in the intermediate. the previous owner must have forgot to fill the tank before use. So I will have to rebuild the intermediate. Doesn't look too difficult. As for the lower, I found a donor boat with a full mechanical lower for cheap. Amazing what is for sale in the middle of winter in wisconsin. Can't wait for spring to get this thing on the water. Sorry I didn't supply pictures, it probably would have just upset many of you die hard OMC guys to see such a rig.

Alright, sorry it has taken me so long. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I figured out what the setup was for. I drained the oil form the intermediate, well lets just say I drained what should have been oil, it was filled with water. The reservoir tank was a mercruiser tank which was exactly what I thought it was for, to supply oil to the intermediate and upper since there are leaks. the oil in the upper was ok, but as I stated there was no oil in the intermediate. the previous owner must have forgot to fill the tank before use. So I will have to rebuild the intermediate. Doesn't look too difficult. As for the lower, I found a donor boat with a full mechanical lower for cheap. Amazing what is for sale in the middle of winter in wisconsin. Can't wait for spring to get this thing on the water. Sorry I didn't supply pictures, it probably would have just upset many of you die hard OMC guys to see such a rig.

Thats crazy man, never seen such a rig. Could'nt imagine what they were thinking but to each his own. I own an 85 22ft Carribian with a 5.7 OMC thats been in my family since we ordered the boat. Proper maintinance is a must and my worst case was loosing my upper stringer. I now own a donor boat for parts if needed and have no complaints about the good times our boat has given my family.

I also own an 77 20ft Omega with an AQ120B VP280 we restored in 94. It to has been a great addition to our family fun. Maintinance is the key to long enjoyable fun and service. Just my opinion.

Back