Logo

1997 bf15a no spark

fishhead1960

i just bought a boat with a 15hp. honda,1997.it had no spark i did some checks and ask my local dealer,everything pointed to the charge coil? i bought a new one off the web.the old one has four wires{2 white & 1 blk & 1 blk with a red tracer} the new one only has the 2 white wires. i cant get any anwsers from the dealer cause i didnt BUY the part from them. has anyone came across this problem? does anyone have any suggestions??? thanks..

Having looked at a wiring diagram for your engine then the blk and blk with red tracer are for your exciter coil which produces the power to your main ignition system that produces your spark. If you old unit had 4 wires then it might be that the coils are two seperate bits? One Exciter and one charging hence the 4 wires.

If you have no spark then it`d be the exciter coil that could`ve failed but not your charging coil as that only comes into play when your engine is running to recharge your battery.

If you have a look at this link then it`ll show you both the charging and exciter coils seperatly and then fitted together in a right angle configeration.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...15AM LA VIN# BAAL-1200001/FLYWHEEL/parts.html

It`d be the exciter coil that you`d be looking to replace rather than the charging coil. Exciter part number is 30590-ZV4-651

Hope this helps you out as although i`m not an expert with outboards then i been a motorbike mechanic for not far short of 40yrs and the electrical systems are much the same.

Cheers, Matt.

Last edited:
thanks matt,ill go back and try too that site to see if they have both parts, i no the charge coil is bad as soon as i took flywheel off i could SMELL it,it is burnt thanks again!!

Last edited:
Not a problem but if your charging coil is burnt out as well then it`d be worth checking your regulator rectifier before firing it up as if that`s not working correctly then it could blow both your new coils.

yes thats a must!!but i just bought a good running 15 short shaft today it needs a lower unit so im gonna change ALL the eletronics.ill have a new anchor!! lol thanks again!!or ill have a good progect if someone wants a 15 honda that needs work.

Last edited:
Back