Logo

Carburation

leomillan

I have a carburated Honda 90 of the 2001 vintage. Recently had it in the shop for water in oil issues so they replaced the head gasquet. It was actually running fine when I took it in for work and running like dodoo when I got it out, barely started and totally not firing on the 3rd carb. The service dept said they don't really want to make good on the fact it was running fine when they got it and bad when they released it and said they wanted an additional $300+ to redo the carbs (I just dished out $600 3 months ago to have those carbs done elsewhere), I had also had all the fuel lines, tank cleaned out etc) Needless to say I am just about broke so...Do I need to know anything special about taking my off carbs, cleaning them and reinstallin/tuning them myself? I heard there maybe some o ring or gasquet somwhere that needs to stay compressed???
Leo

i do no that you need a ceriten vac. gauge to set up the carbs.once reinstall,they are just like all other carbs to remove & insatll ,maybe they arnt syncronized right!!

I recently re-did my carbs for my BF50A (1998) myself. I took them all apart and soaked them in de-gunker (comes in a 1 gallon can with a basket). You can purchase the rubber gasket kit from any Honda dealer. The kit comes with the 3-O rings and 1 bowl gasket. Everytime you take a part these carbs you should replace all the o rings and bowl gasket. They get compressed and never return to its original form when over hauling carbs. the 2 larger o-rings replace the o-rings on the air adjustment screw and the screw on the gas bowl. The small o-ring (most inportant gasket I found to make a difference) goes on the jet stem located under the Flat head screw in the center of the gas bowl. Remove the flat head screw, the jet housing comes out and you have to use a needle nose pliers to loosen the jet stem. On the bottom of the stem you will see the small o-ring. Replace and reassemble the carb after cleaning. As the gentlemen stated earlier, after you reassemble your carbs and install the carb/manifold back on, you still need to sync the cards using a carb sychronizing kit. I've done my own carbs for awhile now and the process is simple providing you pay attention to detail (check all parts for wear, cracks, broken hoses, etc; and replace) use a magnifying glass. It really helps. Inspect all the parts thoroughly. Oh yeah.... make sure your float plunger rubber end is not worn. This can cause overflow problems. Replace if needed.

Good luck.

Good Luck,

Back