Logo

Honda bf90 water in oil

DEBRONSKI

Hi
I have a problem with one of my Honda 90 fourstroke motors getting water contamination in the oil, if i run it on the trailer with ear muffs all is fine, as soon as i launch and run her for a short period (20 minutes) i get water into the oil the oil level increase with at least 500ml, to date I had the Head Gasket checked and replaced, replaced the power head gasket, checked the thermostat but the problem does not go away, does anybody have any suggestions please.

You will have a small crack in some aluminium part the the head, powerhead or oil pan.

This could be difficult to find. I wish you good luck!

Deb, Had the same problem with my 45 hp at 1111 hrs. In my case it was the rubber shift shaft grommet that was allowing water into oil- have that cause checked out. Had water pump changed at same time & cost was $ 318.87 in 2002. Regards, AB ,near USNA, Annapolis, Md.

I see this problem was over a year ago. What was the problem?

Perhaps this was not a water in oil problem but a GAS in oil problem causing oil dilution and thus diluted oil shooting out of the dip stick hole. Cold running temps caused by a broken or stuck thermostat will cause unburned fuel to pass the rings & dilute the oil. This is why Honda engines sold in the maritime provinces of Canada have hotter running thermostats installed!

If it only took 20 minutes for the problem to present, then it has to be an internal coolant leak. The bigger mystery to me is how this post got overlooked and not responded to by anyone else on the forum at the time. I would imagine that DEBRONSKI wasn't "feelin' the love" and may have moved on. Doesn't usually happen here.

ARE YOU THERE DEBRONSKI?

Back