Logo

More 62 evinrude questions

J

john pfeiffer

Thanks for the info everybody

Thanks for the info everybody.Now that i know that it is probably the drive shaft seal or the o-ring on the shifter linkage.How hard is this stuff to replace and what do i need to do to replace it? Also is there a whole seal kit fo the lower unit?

Thanks in advance.

What your looking for is a wh

What your looking for is a whole lower unit for this engine. Its cheaper to replace the whole unit than it is to try and rebuild one.

" Remove the water pump again

" Remove the water pump again John and pull the driveshaft out. The driveshaft seal is right under the water pump plate. Pry it out if it's leaking and press a new one in. The shift rod "O" Ring is another matter. You'll have to dismantle the entire lower unit, remove the shift rod, carefully pick out the "O" Ring and install a new one (Very difficult). If you have the special tools, you can knock out the entire shift rod "O" Ring assy. Probably better to have a OMC shop install the "O" Ring since you will already have the unit apart though. It shouldn't take them more than 1/2 hour. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

all seals for your lower unit

all seals for your lower unit including the shaft seal in the water pump housing should cost no more than $35. I just replaced everything except the prop shaft seal and it was $20. Just need to select a dealer that has books for those old engines. Use extreme care when removing the seal from your water pump housing unless you want to buy a new housing and I concur with Joe that the shift rod seal is best left to the pro's. I didn't replace mine (even though I purchased it) after realizing how difficult it is. The old one is still doing the job. Good luck!

Back