Logo

Suzuki wont run.

Grandpa George

I usually do not bother people with my problems but my son bought a boat and......... Well it is hard to start. will not idle. Runs ok 3/4 to full throttle. I have cleaned the carb, put a kit in the fuel pump, and new spark plugs, new fuel and oil. I removed the cover from the rectifier and fuse box and found a couple wires loose and one tapped off. I need a schematic for that also. The motor is a Suzuki DT40 04003 232817. It is on a 19' pontoon. 2 years ago it ran ok. The previous owner said it needed the fuel pump kit because it didn't reach full speed. So here I am trying to get this thing going so Grandma and I can go fishing. Please help if you can.

Hi.Did you take the carbs apart, removed and cleaned all the jets and passages?Try this website <a href="http://www.brownspoint.com">www.brownspoint.com</a>

Yes I did that. Or at least I thought I did. I am going to do it again just in case I missed a small piece of gunk that stopped up a small passage. I am willing to do anything that I can. I just don't have money to take it to the doctor right now. When adjusting the carb (it has only one) which way do I turn to increase fuel at idle? I can get it to run with the choke closed all the way. That tells me that it is not getting fuel through the circuits as it should. It either is stopped up or it needs to be adjusted to give more fuel. I still need a schematic or an answer to the wireing thing. In the port side box that has the fuse and starter relay. a white wire with blue stripe is connected to a blue wire. Is that correct? Is 124 psi on the compression test good? Both cylinders had the same reading. Another thing I would like to do is remove the oil injector. Is that a good thing? I feel safer if I mix the oil and gas myself. I know the injector is variable and should give it oil only as much as needed but things do fail and that will kill the engine. Thanks for any help.

Hey guys; Thanks for being persistant about the carb. I took it apart again and found some dirt on the center tube. I cleaned it and now it idles fine. Now for the wireing. in the engine relay fuse box there is a pink wire with blue stripe attached to a blue wire by a butt connector. Is that right? And the other thing that I know about at this point is the tilt. It is full of oil and the motor runs but the engine will not move. It is free enough by hand but it would be nice if I could tilt it when fishing in shallow water or docked in a cove.

If both cylinders test the same above 100psi,I would say you have a good one.As for the t&t, its sounds like your pressure release valve is in the open position.Turn it anti clockwise to close.If that does not work you might need to replace the o-rings in the valve.Hope this helps.

Well I got it running. Went to the lake and bumped the starter. It fired up and idled like a new one. I went at half speed for about ten minutes every thing ok. when I tried full speed it was ok for a while. I noticed a slight difference in the sound and looked back. the water was not spraying from the engine. I shut it down and let it cool. It would boil water if dropped on the head. When it cooled I started it and ran half speed on back to the dock. Ran good water flowing fine. Now did the intake get plugged with a walmart bag or did the thermostat stick? This is bothering me. How do I check this out? Do I need to open it up and change the thermostat? Should I try again in a few days with a watch on the spray hole or is it a fix now problem? Please tell me what you think.

Back