Logo

Zincs for TAMD41P-A

johnsct

Have a pair of TAMD41P-A's and am trying to determine where the zinc rods etc might be located. I have always run in freshwater so haven't ever been concerned but am planning on taking it South down the ICW next year and around Florida. So want to be sure I am prepared as much as I can be. I have the engine parts manuals etc, but do not see any reference to any zincs installed etc. Am I missing it or is there not that option.

Thanks.

There are zincs in earlier model motors, on late model factory eliminated them. One in oil cooler, two in heat exchanger, one in aftercooler. If memory serves me right. Basically they are sprinkled thru raw water circuit in every component that has dissimilar metals (couprous-nickel and aluminum)

You don't have to take anything a part they look like plugs 3/4"(metric) the one on the oil cooler is on bottom you got to feel around for it the ones on cooler is on rear plate that where my are on a 41a like stringer bell said they might not be there

good morning, if your eng. has those plugs for zincs when you take them out they might be gone if they haven't been changed in a while you'll see where the new one screws on if you need them you can get them from volvo dealer or try wilbur 1-315-686-3621

I am planning on taking my boat with twin TAMD41P into salt water this year, what happens if my engine doesn't have any zinc anodes?

My 41B engines have never seen salt water, but stray marina currents in the water can cause corrosion as well. Not sure if the zincs can help with that scenario. When I had both engines removed, we found both engines's exhaust pipes off the elbows to the outdrives badly corroded. Ordered new and was told I was lucky they lasted as long as they did. Like bellows I was told should be changed out ... 10 yrs for salt. Mine lasted 20 in fresh. I was told the exhaust gases are corrosive as well, so you might want to check this out if you have these parts on your boat, before undertaking any extended trip, as they are below the waterline, and there is no shut-off!

Back