Logo

Volvo Penta Warranty

Steve Harrison

When I bought my current boat I was happy that it was powered by a Volvo KamD 44 diesel. I had had very good luck with a Volvo station Wagon several years ago and hoped for the same experience.

Unfortunately this has not been the case. When the turbo went out the new one purchased from Volvo produced too much boost out of the box. I am really having trouble getting Volvo to honor their warranty. They required that I prove the part was defective by having it tested by a dealer at a cost of $ 95.00 per hour including traveling time, then they do not cover this labor nor the re-installation when the part was found defective. They have no technical support and the owner is out on his own. Thought others considering buying Volvo Penta should know. They have fewer and fewer dealers here in Southern California because they are very hard on their customers and dealers. When a certified Volvo mechanic goes out on his own they not only do not recognize him as far as warranty work but they disable his electronic diagnostic tools. This makes it very hard for the owner of a boat powered by Volvo to get repairs.

My next boat will definitely not be powered by a Volvo.

Anyone with similar experience, How dosome of the other diesel manufacturers stack up, Cummins, Detroit, Perkins,

Back