Logo

Overstroke switch fault?

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
How is an overstroke switch supposed to work?
When running at idle and I manually operate the ESA switch the engine stumbles as it should, however, whilst keeping the ESA activated and then activating the overstroke switch nothing happens ( the engine stays in "stumble mode") so I thought the o/stroke switch was faulty, so I got the manual and tested both switches with a multimeter as it said in the book, by probing the female plug with the four wires going in to it( 2 black, 2 blue)
The results were spot on to the book, but the male plug that goes into the female only has 2 wires coming out of it( I assume they go to the coil)

My question is, how does the o/stroke switch do anything to cancel out the ESA switch when it is activated, if there is nothing connected to the pins in female plug?
Also should there be 4 wires coming out of the male plug not 2?

Can anyone explain the working of it, should there be another 2 wires somewhere, if so where?

BTW both switches work as they should when tested

Any help or info appreciated

Nick

PS The boat is a 1988 bayliner trophy with a 5.7l v8 petrol

Your understanding of the function of the overstroke switch sounds the same as mine.

later esa modules did not react to the overstroke switch, nor do aftermarket ones, and so they didn't have the wiring for it. They are supposed to time out after a certain amount of stumble time.
sounds like you might have the newer style ESA

Last edited:
I had the same issue when I replaced my ESA. I just used jumper wires to wire the overstroke switch back in series with the ESA switch.

Can anyone tell me how to wire the overstroke switch into the esa wiring as whitsend has done?
Really appreciate any help on this one

Don't fix what aint broke! (as the saying goes)

Is the ESA working now when you shift from gear back into neutral?
If so, it would seem like there is nothing to correct! Yes/No?

Make sure that all final adjustments are made while the boat is in the water.
You need the prop thrust in order to accurately adjust this.
No prop thrust/no dog clutch resistance!
No dog clutch resistance/no cam lever action and no micro switch operation! At least not what's needed!

Last edited:
Yes the esa does work when changing into neutral, but when changing into forward or reverse the esa sometimes operates and sticks "on" causing problems when mooring, when this happens if I go into neutral then back into gear this usually centralises the "v" notched bracket and alls back to normal

If I wire the overstroke switch into the wire from the esa switch would this then work?

I have tried cleaning and lubricating the v notched bracket and spring but the fault still happens every now and again, should I spread the spring to give it more tension?

Thanks for your replies

Thanks MM, the button on the overstroke switch isnt sticking, it works as it should when tested, it just doesnt cancel out the esa swithch when it is activated
The 2 wires coming from the overstroke switch dont seem to go anywhere after the 4 pinned plug
I will wire up the overstroke switch into the esa wiring over the weekend and see what happens, unless anyone has any other ideas?
Will post results with findings

Thanks all

You by chance change out to a electronic dist ? If yes you went with anew esa module ? If yes then your esa has a delay worked into it for 3 seconds after you shift the over-stroke switch is not used on the new module.
Wire it like a merc try it. One wire from the esa micro to the neg side of the dist, and one wire to a ground and it will shift perfect. No esa module.

No, I havent got an electronic dist, still got points etc, I'll wire the overstroke switch into the esa wiring on the weekend and see what happens, thanks again

ESA and overstroke switch now working as they should, wired the overstroke switch into the return wire from the ESA and problem was solved, turned out to be a lot less complicated than i imagined, thanks for all your input

hi welshswampy,

I have a bayliner 2455 with 5.7l, and what sounds like the exact problem with my esa, interrupt micro switch will make engine stumble, but over stroke won't cancel out. tested switches and are all ok. are you able to do a quick sketch of what you did / wiring etc. or post a picture showing really appreciate any help.

thanks
graham

Back