Logo

Flybridge steering cable install

bjackhawaii

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the boating world and forums as well and I Just recently purchased a 1976 Reinell 26' cabin cruiser with flybridge. First time for a boat overhaul or restoration and looking for pointers.

I know virtually nothing about boats but I am a mechanical engineer by trade. Pretty knowledgeable with many aspects of mechanical parts and equipment and also plumbing and electrical... I need to install a new cable for the flybridge steering and need pointers on what to measure, purchase, types to install and so on and so forth. There is no existing cable to start with so I am at a loss for where to start exactly.

Have an inboard OMC 225 with outdrive

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Contact the supplier that you will be buying this cable from.
See if they can pull off a cable p/n by the boat year and model number.
If not...... pull a stiff rope, garden hose, or equivilent, into the area where the original steering cable may have laid out.
Give yourself some additional length for bends and turns, etc.
Measure this, and speak with the supplier that can make a suggestion as to which steering cable will suit the need.
They will need to know the type of helm unit..... whether R&P (rack and pinion) or rotary.... most likely R&P for a twin station boat.

OK, at the risk of sounding like a Nah Sayer, note that in 1976, this would be an OMC Stringer Drive.
While many parts are still available, OMC no longer exists, and the Stringer Drive offers some issues.
I have to be honest with you, and tell you that this is not a desireable drive to own.

Here's a bit of unsolicited advice:

Check out the stringers and transom core before you get too far into the project.
While the Stringer Drive does not require a structural transom.... should either be soft and/or decaying, they may require replacement.

If you love the boat, and wish to get away from the Stringer Drive....., the transom can be infilled to accept a stern drive..... such as a Mercruiser or a Volvo Penta.... or even a later OMC Cobra drive.

The engine (if good) can be made to work with a stern drive.

Your mechanical skills will be very helpful, but do note that there will be many differences between auto and Marine.
Some will be subtle differences, some will be quite different.

There are quite a few members here who have done this type of restoration, so there is a good base to draw from.
I've done five restorations myself....., none of which were OMC, but the task is very relative between hulls and brands.
Hang in here at ME.com....there will be lots of people who be willing to offer you help. :cool:

OH... one more piece of unsolicited advice, since you are new to boat ownership:
Boats are rarely investments in terms of a financial recovery..... and are almost always expenses.
It's quite common to spend more money than what the boat will be worth when completed.
We just use it up in form of enjoyment and fun.... so don't fret if budget and resale don't align.
I think that many of us could say "Been there/done that!" .... I know that I can! LOL

Have fun and enjoy the project!

hey bud welcome to the forum, while i have no answer to your question , i do have a little advice . like rick said your boat will likely require more money than its worth , if you really want to restore it anything is possible with the right attitude . the boat that i restored was a big pile and many of my friends and family thought i was nuts , but after many bumps and obstacles my family and i are on the water as often as we can afford and we love it. you can do it if you really want to , and dont let anyone tell you it cant be done . make your judgement on if its worth it to you , not what the boat will sell for......dimitri

Back