Logo

vibration when wheel cranked

pl8284

so i get a strong vibration when i turn the wheel hard either way. I changed the gimbal bearing and aligned the new bearing and still have same vibration. My u joints feel okay. Does anyone know a way to check u joints or have any other ideas as to what could cause vibration.
Thanks for any help

Could be u-joints but if it's just a vibration and very little noise, it could be a steering issue; hydraulics, pump or ram.

My u joints feel okay. Does anyone know a way to check u joints or have any other ideas as to what could cause vibration.
The thing with our drive shaft bearing crosses (aka U-joints) is that when under power (for the majority of the time), we are pretty much nagivating straight forward.
This places the drive shaft geometry in a fairly straight alignment.
Unlike the automotive counterpart, there is minimal articulation.

What this means, is that the bearing "cap" and bearing cross "trunion" are contacting more so in the same location....... rather than a rolling needle bearing pattern where there is more articulation.
What we get is a wear groove that actually accelerates the wearing out of our bearing crosses.

They may still feel rather smooth, but may not be in good working order.
This is very likely the source of your vibration.
For the cost of replacement, it becomes the thing to do.

Double check me on this for your Cobra application....., but I believe that the Spicer 5-1306X is a replacement for the OEM.
These are high quality, and if you have any buying power, can be purchased for around $14 each.
I use this cross for my AQ series Volvo Penta transmission service.

spi-5-1306x.jpg

I sure appreciate all the help. I have it narrowed down to the drive for sure, not in the steering. I am going to replace the ujoints and I just ordered an alignment tool for $40 on ebay so I'll make sure that is in good shape. Guess I'll have to wait about 6 months to try it now but I can't wait to hit the water and see how she does. Thanks again for the help!!!

almost all the way down... I have wondered about how high I can safely trim it up. My trim gauge does not work, so how do I know if I am running it to high or can come up some more?

You can safely trim the motor to a point.
While underway you can trim till it starts to cavitate(looses forward thrust).
Check the wiring on the sender,it might need fixing,if not it's easy to replace the sender(usually the problem).

How high you have the drive trimmed ?

almost all the way down... I have wondered about how high I can safely trim it up. My trim gauge does not work, so how do I know if I am running it to high or can come up some more?
FYI, if your trim limit switch is adjusted correctly (as it should be), the drive will not raise up out of the "trim limit"!
You'd need to go into "trailer" mode in order to raise it further.

The U-joint assembly (sum of crosses/yokes/center section) are designed for articulation within these limits.
A raised drive (within "trim" limits) places these bearing crosses into articulation no differently than if making a Port or Stbd turn.
The only difference is in the direction of articulation..... apples/apples!
IOW, the bearing crosses don't care whether you are trimmed up slightly, or are making a turn..... this is their job!

As mentioned, it's the Non-Articulation that shortens the life of our bearing crosses........ not articulation within these limits.

If these are truly causing the vibration, it's high time to replace them.

Last edited:
thanks alot, that makes a lot of sense. I don't have a trim limit switch though, just one does the whole trim/tilt. i will get the bearings done and see what happens!!!

.......... I don't have a trim limit switch though, just one does the whole trim/tilt.
Since you are in the OMC section, and mentioned Gimbal bearing, this must be a Cobra drive. The same hydraulic pump, and the same two hydraulic cylinders provide "trim" and "trailer" lift.
If the Trim/Tilt toggle switch allows for two functions (trim mode and trailer mode) then I'd think that somewhere in the system is a trim limit switch.

I have a stringer. But there was a trim that moved the whole motor up and down for stringers. I don't have it and don't want it.
This guy has a cobra.

SEQ # 86 appears to be the trim gauge sender unit ( #86 — 984748 — TRIM SENDER ASSY).

I was curious as to a trim limit switch on the OMC Cobra drive that would be similar to the Mercruiser drives.
IOW, a limit switch that prevents the normal "Trim Mode" button from trimming the drive up further into "Trailer Mode"....... keeping the drive within "Trim Mode" limits, or drive angle.

"Trailer Mode" would require separate trailer mode switch operation (sometimes two buttons used simultaneously).

I only mentioned this because someone asked how far the drive was being trimmed up..... (and I suppose to see if it was relative to the vibration).
I then suggested that the limit switch would prevent too much drive angle.
If the Cobra does not offer this limit switch......, then it's a rather moot point.

55774.gif

1... No trim limit on a cobra.
2... I asked how he trims it, too far up and the u-joint will go again.
1.... Thanks for that! I'm not all that familiar with the Cobra.
So, is this to say that an operator could trim up a Cobra, and continue trimming, and get into the trailer mode?

I am somewhat surprised that there is no limit switch.

2... No arguement here, but if he was triming up far enough to place the bearing crosses out of a designed working articulation range, I'd think that he'd loose prop thrust.

There was only one button ever on the cobras throttle control from 1986 till 1998 when they stopped making them.
If you mean the OMC drive, I believe that would have been from 1987 thru 1993!
Anything after 1994 would be the Volvo Penta drive that was called the SX Cobra for several years.

MM, thank you for the information. I must admit that I come into this from the Volvo Penta side, not the OMC side.
Quite frankly, I have always steered clear of the OMC's.

Your first two hyperlinks did not work for me!
However, I won't argue with you over the 1986/1987 Cobra introduction date.
Several boat manufacturers may have allowed production earlier than others. I know that B/L was not one of them, because unfortunately, they had used the Stringer Drive earlier. They were also using the Volvo Penta during and through 1986. By 1987 they began using the Cobra.

And as for the actual Volvo Penta SX and/or DP-S "cone clutch" drives......., if the OMC purchase did not occur until late 1993, I believe that explains the 1994 comment.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but this info below appears to be from GLM.... not Volvo Penta, nor OMC, nor Bombardier.
It may be possible that the dates are off a tad bit....... I don't know!

While most people will admit that the OMC stringers were
poorly engineered, the OMC Cobra had some pretty innovative features. The new
modern factory and the Cobra engineering attracted the attention of Volvo and in
1993 OMC and Volvo entered into a joint venture and began producing a hybrid
sterndrive with the OMC Cobra transom plate assembly and the excellent Volvo
cone clutch outdrive. Sold as the Cobra by OMC and the SX Drive by Volvo, this
drive had the best of both manufacturers. Because the new hybrid sterndrive used
the same transom plate as the Cobra, Volvo now had a drive that would bolt into
the same size transom cutout hole as the Mercruiser.

The new Cobra/Volvo hybrid sterndrive shared only the transom
assembly with the 1986-1992 OMC Cobra. Everything behind the transom plate bell
housing was Volvo engineering. Realistically, with the introduction of this
sterndrive in 1993, we can say that the OMC sterndrive engineers were put out of
business when the last of the OMC designed sterndrives finished production in
1992. On December 23rd 1998, Volvo purchased the Lexington, Tennessee factory
and all of the production rights to the OMC sterndrives, thus officially ending
the OMC sterndrive business.

This must have been rather difficult for the OMC Corporation, and perhaps some of the information re; the alleged "joint venture" was kept very private. I suppose a portion of this varies depending on which side you come in from...... OMC or Volvo Penta, and perhaps the source.
What one may call a chaper 11 "life jacket" or "take-over", another may call a "joint venture"!
One can certainly understand that the OMC name would best serve previous OMC owners, and "would-be" used OMC boat owners, if it were to continue being shown for a while.
None-the-less, full bankruptcy was apparently filed December 22, 2000 if my source is accurate.

BTW, I believe that the only Cone Clutch that OMC was given the pattent rights to use....., was for the very short lived King Cobra Cone Clutch drive.
The standard OMC Cobras were all "dog clutch".

MM, I'll take your word that neither of the Cobras had a trim limit switch.
Fair nuff?
:D

pl8284 (the OP here) needs to change out his bearing crosses regardless of our conversation re; the trim switch!

Back