Logo

hard steering

yoandsal

HELP......I have a 1989 Suzuki DT 100 and the last few times I've taken it out I've noticed that the steering is getting more difficult. I have to work rather hard to steer. Any suggestions on something I can do to help this that will not cost me an arm or a leg? I'm not too mechanically inclined so photos with instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.....thanks! Yolanda:)

Thanks! I did this and it did not help, disconnected the steering cable and motor moved easily. Guess my next step is trying to learn how to replace the steering cable?

Thank you so much. I found an article last evening and it the steps listed are very similar. I performed all of this and when I re-assembled the steering it is still difficult to steer. Guess I have to see what model steering cable I need for my boat and try this next. I really appreciate all your help!

Thanks, I'm trying to do this......only thing is that I have a center console and can't seem to maneuver the rack in the confined space of the console area. I've taken the control panel off in hopes I can pull the cable through. Will resume again tomorrow after work. Any ideas on an easier way to pull the cable through without having to take my center console apart??

Know what you mean. I have the cable pulled up to the hole in the floor by the center console, but am not able to pull it through without moving the center console itself. Any suggestions on how to do this. Seems the gas tank lines are holding it in place and possibly other wires/cables as well. Geez, I'm learning hard lessons here....lol. Guess I'll keep looking to see how to move the center console without dismantling it completely cause I KNOW I'll end up with extra parts :) I'll be so proud of myself if I can figure this out!!

No access panel, most wires are crammed between between gas tank and console. Have come to the conclusion I will have to cut the gas hose which is stopping me from moving the console so I can have room to work. The hose I'm planning to cut is connected to gas tank on one end and the other end to where you fill up. I think cutting it will let me lift the console out of the way so I can thread the steering cable out in order to replace. I do realize I will have the added expense of buying a new replacement hose, but at this point I'm out of ideas!

Lol.....am giving up. Have a mobile mechanic coming by tomorrow to see how much this project will cost. Geez, I was hoping I'd be able to pull the cable through easily....no dice. Thanks for all the advise and encouragement!

Back