Logo

Volvo Kamd 44p Overboost

Steve Harrison

I have a 28 ft Luhrs Powered by a Kamd 44p edc inboard application. The turbo recently went out. I purchased a new one Part no 3802105 from Volvo. It overboosts. roughly 30 lbs boost pressure at 3000 rpm. This is enough to kick out the computer. Has anyone had similar problems? Volvo is reluctant to replace the turbo. I have had three mechanics confirm the overboost. Any thoughts or any Help?

Thanks
Steve

What was the reason for original turbo failure? Only way turbo will overboost is if the wastegate is stuck (not opening at preset PSI), or there is restriction somewhere along the compressed air tract

Did you reuse old wastegate, or is it new?

Kam d 44 do not have a waste-gate. The reason the old turbo failed was I think age. There was too much area around the exhaust side blades allowing exhaust to escape without spinning the turbo. In addition the oil seal failed causing oil in the intake side. We flushed the cold box and checked all for restriction. took both a manual boost test and sensor/vodia test. Volvo is very non cooperative. I went to their only remaining dealer and had him test and do work but two months later I am still struggling to get any results. I am about ready to go to a aftermarket turbo shop and order a turbo and start over from scratch. Volvo uses Borg Warner to make their turbos and just re label them and mark them up $1000 bucks. What a rip off.

Thanks Steve

Welcome to the world of Volvo. The only remedy is to not buy Volvo engines, but unfortunately that won't help you until you buy your next boat

Steve, I replaced two 8 year old turbos, with only 400 hours each, in 2010 for the exact reason you mention above "too much area around the exhaust side blades allowing exhaust to escape without spinning the turbo", at least on the port turbo (the gap was huge compared to the SB side turbo) and then the SB turbo acted up only two months later so I replaced that as well.

Here's why I'm telling you this, my "new" port side turbo, with just over two years of hassle free use (less than 100 hours) is now just doing the same thing as before - rpm lag/bounce between the time the supercharger disengages and the turbo spools completely. This shouldn't be happening on a young under used turbo. I haven't had my mechanic pull off the exhaust yet to check the blades, but does anyone have any ideas as to why these engines are subject to this type of problem? Turbos are damn expensive to replace, I just hope some sort of warranty came with the turbo or volvo can replace for free if faulty?

Other than this, the engines are 10 years old, great condition and work great.

Mike

Back