Logo

TAMD B Timing Gear

jolly_r

I acquired a boat and it has one of the two TAMD41 B engines smoking badly. The previous owner had the injection pump off. I find in Timing this engine I can't adjust the pump to the spec because the pump is against the mounting bolts and it needs to move slightly further. I have come to the conclusion that the timing gear is one tooth off. I have tried to reposition it but there doesn't seem to be enough space. Can somebody tell me if it is possible to move the gear one tooth back without disassembling the front housing and crankshaft Harmonic Balancer

Last edited:
No, you have to remove front cover in order to move the gears and re-time the motor (if pump movement is maxed out). Each gear has a dimple stamped into it, and its easy to align them, however removing front timing gear cover is not a fun job, mark the cover bolts as there are friggin 20 of them and they are all different size. It is weird that previous owner had the pump off, without touching the gears - you should not have to mess with gears...... Are you sure you are not 180 degrees off on your TDC? Remember that inline 6 has two TDCs, one on intake stroke, one on exhaust stroke.

Last edited:
Back