Logo

40hp/50hp motor

whaler1966

I have a 2000 40 hp outboard motor and need to replace the upper unit. I have found a 1997 50 hp motor for a decent price, but it has a crack in the lower unit. Can i take the upper unit of the 50 and put it into my 40 to replace it? Sounds like a dumb question, but hoping that this will work????? any thoughts...if not does anyone know of a 40 or 50 honda unit for sale near southern maryland??

I certainly don't have a recommendation here but I got curious and looked at some stuff. I don't see a 50 hp listed for 1997 on the boats.net parts pages.

I do see why you're thinking this way though. The 1998 50hp engine block and the 2000 40hp engine block are the same part number. This along with some other matching part numbers between the two make this an "enticing" proposition. But, it would be an expensive one if everything doesn't line up properly.

Hopefully, someone else here has a better answer for you.

I am with Jimmy....looking at a parts program from Honda...the short block for the Bf50AW is the same as the one for the BF40AY. It is no longer available if you were to purchase it.

The gasket set is the same.

The lower portion are all the same as far as I can see.

The above is true for the 40's and 50's thru 2003.

It might be worth a try is the price of the 50 is cheap enough.

Mike

You gotta give it a try. I did it with a 25/30 - 1999 and 2000. But, I think they were known twins. The kicker will be if the pins line up where the block meets the lower base. freeportd

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Why don't you take your lower unit and attach it to the 50. If the one with the cracked case is the one being advertized on craigslist you could always use the housing from your 40 with the gears etc from the 50. (i've been looking at that motor as a parts spare myself :)

Sometimes it takes someone looking over your shoulder to state the obvious.

It seems like Mdoherty's suggestion would be the easiest amount of work and there are no compatibility issues to my knowledge.

Mike

Back