Logo

Bf225 intermediate shaft bearing

Brian silk

Regular Contributor
This may have been covered before, but I can't find it. My manual is on the boat a ways away, so I can't check it. Is ther an intermediate shaft bearing on a 225 with a short shaft or is it just on the long shaft? Mine is a short. Hondadude?

Brian - I'm giving you a non-answer. I've always assumed that the 20" and 25" 225's have an intermediate shaft bearing, and my dealer has said he has inspected it on my 25" shaft motor the last time I took it in for a 400 hour maintenance. However, I cannot find a clear reference to it in the Helm shop manual. The example they show is for the 30" model, only, and that is really sketchy.

Hopefully, Mike or Jimmy can clarify.

It's there on a 25"- just went thru the whole replacement process, it had chewed thru my mid-section and I had to replace that as well. $$$$$

Do a search on here and you'll find plenty of info-also search thewholetruth.com it's been covered
over there

My was an '02 w/ 600 hours-probably could have been caught earlier but I hadn't had the LU off in approx 200 hours.......

Just an update on the intermediate shaft bearing. I just had a complete service done at 625 hours by The Honda Centre in Vancouver Canada. I asked them to replace the intermediate bearing on the drive shaft as I had heard of issues with it here. After he pulled the lower end off he showed it to me. It was in great shape grease still intact, no corrosion at all,anywhere. He said that in servicing the 225 since they were first introduced, they have never seen one fail. He said not to bother, and we left it. We will see, they sold me the engine and have a great reputation, the mechanic seemed to know the engine inside out,and I have confidence in his opinion. Definately a good idea to check it though for sure. I flush the engine after every use and he said it shows. There are no signs of corrosion anywhere and inside the engine looks the same as when it was new. Corrosion protectant and greas ehelp a great deal.

Brian - That's interesting. I had the same feedback on my 2008 BF225 - everything looked great. I wonder why some fail so badly, and others don't ever seem to fail. Any ideas Jimmy or Mike?

On my 2002, water from the vert. tube is sprayed in the driveshaft above the bearing to lubricate it. If you pick up sand & sediment running in shallow water, guess where that sediment goes? Grinding and wearing the bearing & driveshaft!! Maybe that's why some wear faster than others. Mine was replaced at 310 hours, the shaft had about .001" wear in the bearing area. As I said before, this is the poorest designed part I have seen on the 225.

Illesheim71 may have provided one of the best answers for this "mystery". Shallow water operation is always going to be "corrosive", just as he points out, because of the sediment and debris.

I would also suspect that water chemistry might play a fair part in the saga as well. Each body of water has it's own set of circumstances including salinity, ph, and particles in suspension. So, even a guy that operated in only deep water might still experience some problems from those factors too.

It would appear the only defense is the good offense of dropping the housing and taking a periodic peek.

Back