Logo

Bf100 oil leak

FINKPLOYD

The old BF100 I bought a few months ago has now started to leak engine oil from the little drain holes in the casing of the leg whilst the engine is not running.

I'm not sure where its coming from but its bad enough to drain all the oil out of the engine. It is a good runner so obviously I'm not going to run it like this. Does the engine oil sit inside the body of the leg or does it have a sump like on other engines?

How big a job is it to remove the engine from the casing to see where the oil is coming from.

I want to sell this engine as I've now bought a brand new engine but obviously nobody is going to buy it as it is and I wouldn't sell it like that anyway, even though someone sold it to me like this.

I don't think I'll get my money back but would it be worth breaking it and selling it that way?

Thanks

Ian.

Not sure what you mean by "breaking it and selling it that way?"

If you mean "in pieces" "for parts", they can be of value that way but they are usually much more marketable when in running condition. I would pay no more than $250 US for one that I would need to repair so that I could re-sell. They typically go for between $500 to $650 with cosmetics being fairly important.

In September, racerone and I responded to a post from you about an oil leak at the corner of the valve cover. You never answered back. What did you do to resolve that leak?

The engine oil sits in a depression inside the "oil case" that the extension leg is bolted to. The "power head" or engine block is flat on the bottom and is bolted to that oil case. The oil case serves the same purpose as the oil pan on your car. There is a gasket between the oil case and the engine block. It is possible that the oil case is cracked but I've never seen that happen. It is more likely that the oil is pooling from a leak higher up while the engine is running and then dribbling out after it has been stopped.

The answer to your question about the ease of working on this outboard is relative to your ability. I find it very easy to remove and replace the power head on these motors but, it pretty much entails a complete dis-assembly of the outboard and some would find that difficult. Don't attempt it for the first time without the service manual.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I removed the valve cover a few months ago and cleaned it up and refitted it and that stopped the leak in thatt area.

The engine has been stood for about 2 months now and its constantly leaked oil from one of the 2 little holes in the ide of the casing which I assume are there to allow water to drain out from underneath the engine. when I got this engine these holes were blocked and now I know why!

The engine is a great runner and it would be a shame to break it up into pieces to sell but if thats my only option then thats what I'll do.

I've rebuilt quite a few motorcycles before but never done anything with outboard motors.

I'm going to start to strip it and see if I can see where the problem lies.

Thanks for your help.

Ian.

Yeah, these things aren't any more complicated than a motorcycle. Just everything crammed in that oil case. Take lots of digital photos as you tear down and you should be ok. Hopefully you're just looking at a block to oil case gasket. There are eight bolts that hold the block down to the case. One of them, in the back, is hard to see and they call it the "hidden bolt" so make sure you have all eight out and DO NOT pry or beat on that case. It is cast aluminum, is VERY fragile, and will break easily if forced or dropped. Don't ask me how I know;(
Good luck with the old girl.

Ha ha........thanks for the info....this site is first class and the info I've had has been great, I feel all inspired now and at least if its not possible to recoup some money from the engine I have a project to work on and learn from at the same time.

Thanks guys.

Ian

Back