Logo

Water in the inner hull

island_boy

Contributing Member
Took my boat out and it had alot of rainwater in the bilge I drained it and opened the back plug to the inner hull. I t had water in it. Not sure if it may have leaked through the bilge area or maybe when I put my transom boot on I may have not put enough saelant on the screws. I left the plug out and will investigate the cause for the leak. Should I leave it out of the water until dry? Any suggestions? Don't want dry rot to ruin my stringers or transom.
Island Boy.

I have never seen an i/o boat with an "inner hull" drain plug. But generally, if the manufacturer puts a plug somewhere, it's because they expect it to have water in it and need draining. But, maybe that plug is for checking - like a pontoon boat has plugs in the pontoons.
A lot of older boats have had test holes sawed under seat bases and in inconspicuous locations for investigation of floatation foam dryness.

I'm almost positive that the Skipjack hulls have either formed stringers or completely encapsulated stringers. In other words, even if there is water in any of the wood (again, not sure there is any wood) it would not affect the boat's structure. If in doubt consult a marine surveyor who will have the proper moisture detectors to be able to tell if there is any water in the hull.

Back