Logo

tough question on pulling oil pan for df140

briscoe

I own an 07 df140 that has been having water emulsify the oil. This is salt water service, though I flush it out each use and use salt terminator in the flush.
If I remove the engine from the mounts and hold it suspended, can I drop the oil pan from the bottom, by dropping lower unit first? I need to access the bottom portion of the engine holder to see if corrosion has worn a hole in it, which is allowing water to get into the oil pan sump. Yes it has aluminum anodes and they were in good shape. The issue appears to be they are located too high on the engine to do the engine holder any good, preventing corrosion. Shameful situation, and I am trying to not remove the power head.
This started when I changed the water pump impeller. The first trip I noticed a small color change in oil. Flushed crankcase with fresh oil and new filter. Moved to next trip. I stayed close to the launch and a few miles it was apparent I was still having issues. After flushing the motor, I noticed that with oil drain plug pulled, if I water flush through flush fitting water trickles out of the oil drain. Flushing, even with hillbilly oil is expensive!
Engine ran great, never has overheated, even though in hot weather I can't WOT because of gas vapor locking issues with these motors. What a shame, I have babied it so. Only 200 hours.
Hapless in Texas.....

Last edited:
Really nice motors when they are running right !!-----------------Study the parts drawing ( browns point ) and see if maybe the leak is some where else.-----------------They may have a " 800 help line " too so you can get advice from Suzuki experts on this.-----------I am sure yours is not the first one with this problem

I have the manual and it looks doable. As for contacting Suzuki I think they hide from the public to make you go through a dealer. My dealer was willing to tear down and look. Yeeep, $100/hr. Another Suzuki OB site, had a few members indicate that salt water has corroded their water jacket or engine holder and was letting water in the oil pan. About the time I saw I needed info, having similar issues the site came down, saying for some type of maintenance. Owwie.

Well, today I hooked up the water.with oil drain plug pulled. The water coming out of strarboard side that supplies for upper motor I disconnected and cap. Turned on the water. Ten minutes later not a drop of water came out (i had already drained the oil). Hooked supply back to upper motor, nada.added oil and earmuffs, water on. Started motor and at warm up the oil started to emulsify. Must be blown head or something.
Actually good news, I have extended warranty for that. Will be taking it in next week. Disappointed, but glad it's covered.

The final outcome on the water in the oil

Took my boat to my dealer,whom contacted Suzuki. They indicated they have been having some DF 140's getting water in the oil at the oil cooler (where the oil filter attaches). They said they would get back with me when the work is complete. I have an extended warranty and they had to get some approval confirmation # , and parts. Okay then, that works for me. I know it never ran bad as if I had blown a head gasket or whatever.
I know that on another Outboard Suzuki site that is sown now there were a few people discussing issues with their DF140 getting water in the oil. Too bad I can't let em know what Suzuki Techs told my dealer, to look at the oil cooler.
Bummer....

Re: The final outcome on the water in the oil

I know it has been a long time, but did the oil cooler fix your problem? I am having similar issues on my df140.

Back