Logo

Honda BF5 shift problem

iamav

I have an older 5hp Honda 4 cycle outboard (Blue case and pearl white cover).

The motor runs fine but occassionally leaves me high and dry when it doesn't go into gear.

I pull the gear lever forward or push into reverse and nothing (the shift lever moves but nothing at the prop).

I checked inside the rubber inspection cover, the bolt for the shifter is tight..

This problem is wierd because it can work correctly several times over a weekend and then be a real bear.....then start working again...

Any ideas?

Thanks

I checked that when problem first manifested itself....answer NO.

I don't think it would work perfect for days and then go off the hook if the shear pin was broken.

Thanks

oes the shift lever move the same amount when working properly vs not?
Assuming that this is the same basic mechanism as my BF75 (7.5HP) Blue/White cover motor...
There are two spots in the "head" that can be a trouble spot.
1) The bolt that clamps the shift lever shaft to the lever arm that operates the vertical shift rod may be loose. I believe you said you checked this as "tight", but it (lever to the rod junction) may be slipping.
2) The vertical shift rod attaches to the lever arm via a screw on clevis fitting (technically the "rod joint"). This part or the shift rod may have stripped threads... or possibly even be the wrong part with incorrect threads.

I'm not sure about this one as I don't ever do this, but...on some motors, you cannot shift into gear if the throttle is above the point marked "shift" on the twist grip. Possibly you are are mis-adjusted as to this set point... ( if this is how yours works... I'd check mine for that right now but the weather is really lousy at the moment here in NJ!)

Last edited:
does the shift lever move the same amount when working properly vs not?
Assuming that this is the same basic mechanism as my BF75 (7.5HP) Blue/White cover motor...
There are two spots in the "head" that can be a trouble spot.
1) The bolt that clamps the shift lever shaft to the lever arm that operates the vertical shift rod may be loose. I believe you said you checked this as "tight", but it (lever to the rod junction) may be slipping.
2) The vertical shift rod attaches to the lever arm via a screw on clevis fitting (technically the "rod joint"). This part or the shift rod may have stripped threads... or possibly even be the wrong part with incorrect threads.

I'm not sure about this one as I don't ever do this, but...on some motors, you cannot shift into gear if the throttle is above the point marked "shift" on the twist grip. Possibly you are are mis-adjusted as to this set point... ( if this is how yours works... I'd check mine for that right now but the weather is really lousy at the moment here in NJ!)

Thanks Capt Bob,

It seems the shift lever moves the same amount but I've never measured the amount of travel to be sure.

The joint I checked was the one in the leg behind the rubber plug, it was tight.

I'm at least the 3rd owner on this engine, got it last year. So anything is possible in the head area where you mentioned. The engine and boat are 500 miles away in Socal where I keep my sailboat and tender (OB is for tender). Will check the items you suggest next time down. I've never noticed any marking on my throttle marked shift, not to say it isn't there. One of this winters projects will be to change water pump impeller so I'll have it home on the bench for a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

Good luck... Suggest you invest in a shop manual for this engine. I'm a big fan of the HONDA OEM manuals. Nice specific exploded views and clear explanations. Before you start get the S/N of the engine. Usually on plate on leg. BTW... Have had this engine for 10 seasons. Only problems have been the t'stat and ethanol related carb problems. I found out that not only are early OEM fuel lines w/bulbs nonethanol tolerant, but many "replacement" ones are also NG in ethanol laced gas. Also found much to my chagrin, that some replacement red plastic fuel tanks behave badly in ethanol. My 7.5 is the "auxiliary" power for my Bristol 22. The engine starts easily (assuming correct use of choke) and runs VERY smoothly and pushes my sailboat along at hull speed at partial throttle. Since it is in a slip in a lagoon, No putt-putt....no sail.

Hey Capt Bob,

I have the Honda shop manual and parts catalog for outboards from early 90s to about a 2 years ago on CD... an ebay purchase, like $10. I've been thru it, not a ton of help with this problem...

I do remember that the engine speed is limited in neutral (by limitiing throttle position). Still don't recall any "shift" position on the twist grip.

Take care.

My sailboat is an '82 Catalina 30 with 11 hp Universal diesel.
The Honda 5 is for use on my Avon 2.80 Rover
I also have an Achilles 14' inflatable and 9' Boston Whaler.

Back