Logo

BF100S stalling after 5 minutes

beardsy

Hi all,

I just purchased a BF100S (assuming mid 80's) blue & white. The motor appears to be in immaculate condition with brand new parts everywhere. I have not started it because I cannot find a fuel hose to fit the connector on the motor but have heard that a Johnson / Evenrude hose will fit, is this correct of do I need to chage the connectors to newer ones? I also cannot find a downloadable service manual, anyone have a link for it?

Lastly, gentleman who sold me the motor said that after five minutes of running it gets hot and shuts down. I have checked the engine oil, it is full, the impeller is new as well. The intake screen is also clear and new. What could be the problem? I'm guessing thermostat or clogged cooling jackets? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Beardsy,

Hello Beardsy and welcome to the forum!

The link below has a list of everything fuel supply related but any can and hose will do as long as you have item # 16. I could be wrong but I don't think the Johnson/Evinrude connector will work.

I hope you didn't give a lot of money for the outboard considering that it has been allowed to overheat to the extent that it shuts itself down. That isn't good and I would be surprised if it hasn't sustained some serious damage as a result.

When they get that hot, the mating surfaces for the head and engine block begin to warp and the piston gets deformed so that it doesn't "fit" in the cylinder bore correctly. But, I guess if it still turns over ok and has good compression, it may survive.

Good luck with it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... BF75-1013304/FUEL TANK + SUB TANK/parts.html

Have you looked at the impeller to confirm that it is in good shape ???---------------Was the old impeller in good shape or were there pieces missing ???

Back