Logo

Honda 9.9 stalls at idle speed $700 in repair costs it still does the same thing

Sailorman21152

Early on in this year’s boating season I noticed that as I was idling through my marina to get to my dock my 2004 Honda 9.9 would stall out. It has an electric start, so I would just push the button and it would start right up. Then after 1 minute and 17 seconds it would stall out again... I would work the boat starting and stalling into the dock. I took my boat to Cutter Marine in Middle River MD for repair. They are the authorized Honda Dealer where I bought the engine new in 2004. They replaced the thermostat for $245 and told me to come and get the boat. I turned the engine on and after 5 minutes it stalled. I started it back up and in 1 min and 17 seconds it stalled again. I went back to the office and told them that I wasn't accepting the engine as repaired. They said that they would take a look at it.

Two more weeks went by and they told me to come in and pick it up. (This was the week before Irene hit the east coast and they needed the dock space. Cutter Marine is a Hurricane shelter) They put a new fuel pump in the engine and charged me $475.00. The total now is $720.00.

I started the engine and let it run for 20 min... It didn't stall! I motored back to my marina and put her to bed. Hurricane Irene missed the upper Chesapeake, but because of the storm and a lot of debris in the bay I didn’t take my boat out for 2 weeks.

The next time I went out I had a great day of sailing, but when I entered the marina I idled it back down and it stalled again. I started her back up...1 min 17 seconds later it stalled again.

I have been in contact with Honda through this whole ordeal. They told me that they would be in contact with Cutter Marine. Cutter tells me that Honda never called. So after the last episode I called Honda again for a recommendation. I told them that I have no faith in Cutters ability to fix my engine and I would like to know of a repair service that has the ability to repair my engine. Honda asked me to fax my receipts from Cutter. I did. Russel from Honda does not return my calls now. I am out $720 and my 9.9 still stalls at low RPM. I contacted a lawyer who told me that there is no statement on the receipt from Cutter Marine that guaranties the repair so I don't have a court case.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this engine?

Beware of Honda dealers repair services.. before they touch your engine make sure there is a warranty for the repairs…. Believe me from my experience with Honda USA you are on your own!

Hi Sailorman. Welcome aboard the forum!

Sorry you're not being taken care of by your dealer. I'm in Sunny Southern Cal and we would be off to see a small claims judge out here regardless of a receipt.

The guarantee was implied when they took your money. You give them money...They, in turn, should be giving you results. Why else would you be giving them money?

Except for the 1 minute 17 second thing, it sounds like a carburetor issue to me.

Check out the link below and locate item 7 in the depiction. That is your idle speed screw. Take your hood off and try giving it about 1/4 turn to the right with a long skinny phillips. See if that make the condition better or at least changes the timing of the stall. If doing that makes the engine idle too fast then only try 1/8th turn instead. If it doesn't change the idle speed at all, turn it in until the idle speed rises slightly.

If you could try that and get back to us with the results, we might come up with a solution.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...IN# BABJ-1300001/CARBURETOR (AUTO)/parts.html

I don't know a darn thing about the 9.9. But your description sure sounds like a sticking float valve. Sounds like you're running on the residual in the bowl, but it is not replenishing fast enough. The new fuel pump may have put enough pressure to keep it operating properly at first. But follow Jimmy's lead - he's the expert.

Wow..Thanks for the advice! I bought the Seloc Honda Repair Manual. I used to work on outboards when I was a kid ...they where all 2 stroke. I'm pretty good with mechanical repairs so I'm going to try to do most of the repairs myself.

On the first repair the carb. was disassembled and cleaned... Do you think it is possible that there may be a small leak in the fuel line from the tank to the engine. I notice that the bulb doesn't stay firm for long when I prime it... just an idea.

First - do not rely on the Seloc manual, they have a good many errors, especially for Hondas. Purchace the Helm manual off the Honda Marine site or off of eBay. Yes, it could be your pump-up bulb. There is a check valve that keeps gas from flowing back into the tank. That could very easily be your problem. The only way to repair it is to replace it.

You did not indicate whether the motor is a remote control (has a separate control box and key switch assembly).

1. Motor could be overheating...but a remote control motor should give you a red warning light and buzzer before it quits.

2. Could be fuel supply. You are heading the right direction to check this. Even just borrowing someones fuel line and tank will tell you if it is in the engine or the supply. If you get a new hose and it still fails, open your fuel cap. The vent may not be working. The motor will stop if it is not vented.

3. As it is failing, squeeze the fuel bulb and see if it keeps running. If it does, the problem is probably in the motor.

4. The 1 minute 17 sec thing is interesting. If it is consistant, it would lead me to a vent problem in tank; a crankcase vent plugged; or a problem in the carburator (the bistarter valve closes down after it is heated up...thus causing the extra flow of fuel needed to start the motor to be cut off....). If the main flow of fuel inside the carburator is clogged plus bistarter closing down equals engine stops.

It sounds like you are going to try to find the problem yourself. For the most part, we all have focused on a fuel issue. It could be a spark issue. If you have a timing light, connect it to one of the spark plug wires and see if you get any flashing after the motor quits and will not restart. If the flashing does not stop, then you have eliminated a spark problem and we are back to fuel.

I agree with Chawk...get the Helm manual.

Mike

As for the contact with Honda...I would continue trying. You did not indicate how long you have been dealing directly with Honda. They are a big firm and sometimes things take a while to give through the system. If it has been several weeks, I would call back and ask for the supervisor in charge.

I know you are upset, but remember that "you catch more flies with honey..." At least try it that way first.

Back