Logo

2000 Honda 8HP Exhaust Leak

andy2774

Hello, I need to replace the seals leaking exhaust up into the engine compartment. I found an old post with some info but not enough detail.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?219674-Honda-BF15-Exhaust-Leak&highlight=honda+exhaust+leak

I
'm wondering is it possible to disconnect the motor from the shaft extension alone or do I need to disassemble the shaft sections where the water pump is also? I'm sure I can do this if someone will point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy and welcome aboard the forum!

Please don't take this the wrong way but I would point you toward the Helm Inc. Honda shop manual if you're going to tackle this job.

I think you will find that to repair your problem you will need to remove the powerhead from the oil case to replace item 18 in the parts blow up link below. When you disturb the power head, you will also be replacing some other seals and gaskets. This is an excellent time to inspect the engine bearings and crankshaft and clean the oil filter and crankcase. It is much easier if you have the manual for reference. It doesn't cost much more than $30 new and you might find a used copy for a lot less.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...C-1500001 TO BZBC-1502182/OIL PUMP/parts.html

If you choose not to buy the manual I will still be happy to help you but it will undoubtedly take a lot longer.

Also, a good digital camera is a tool I use when I'm doing one for the first time.

To answer your question about removing the extension without removing the gear case, yes it is easily done.

Plenty of good help available here so don't hesitate to ask.

Alright! A starting point. My experience with manuals is not good, however at any point where I feel the need I will take your advice and get it. In the mean time I am going to study the parts, exploded view thing and begin with separating the power head from the oil case. I read somewhere that I need to keep in mind the timing and mark it somehow so it is not off when reassembled. Is that right?

Thanks a heap!
Andy

Your question is a prime example as to the merit of having the service manual inasmuch as you do not need to disturb the timing when you take the power head out of the oil case. There is no need to "mark it". However, it is always good to know that the engine is properly timed and, with the service manual in hand, it is easily done without making home made scribe marks.

If you decide to forge on without it though, make sure that you disconnect item 3 in the link below. That is the shift shaft and it needs to be disconnected and the upper eye taken off so that the extension case can be separated from the oil case.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...001 TO BZBC-1502182/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

Once that is done, check back for some tips on removing the eight bolts that secure the engine block to the oil case. Coming attractions: There is a "hidden" bolt. Also, the bolts are of differing lengths and need to be in their prescribed holes.

OK, I'm almost persuaded about the service manual. Does it give step by step directions for a procedure like this? If so I'll get one but my experience has been that manuals are too general and assume you know things you may not.
Thanks, Andy

Well, I would have to agree with you about that. I just ordered a used manual for a car a friend sold me and I'm glad I didn't buy a new book as it is pretty useless. The little Honda manual is a bit better than the Haynes car manual but, just as you say, is vague in areas. And, there are some ignition specifications that are just plain wrong in it.

But, having said that, I would still recommend it to anyone doing their own work and, yes, it has step by step directions for what you are doing. It is also a value for setting your timing and adjusting your valves as well as clearly depicting all the electrical connections with a decent wiring diagram. That is the Helm Inc. manual, no other.

Back