Logo

BF5A Shift lever removal

sloopy

I was having a very difficult time shifting from and to any position on my Honday 5 HP outboard. Finally, bit the bullet and removed the motor head, after checking the lower end, which was fine. Now I have the shift lever basically free of all attachments and still have a difficult time moving it in any direction. I even use a small cheater pipe!! What's the best way to remove this item? I'm twisting it back and forth and pulling on it but in an hour I've moved it out about 1/4".

Help!!!
Sloopy:(:(:(

The bushings and shift shaft collar are probably corroded or rusted onto the shaft of the handle. Check parts 14 and 12. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2005/BF5A5%20LA%20VIN%23%20BADS-2100001%20TO%20BADS-2199999/SHIFT%20SHAFT%20%2B%20COVER%20LOCK%20LEVER/parts.html

I also assume that the bolt part #40 is out.

You might try to soak it with PBblaster or some sort of penetrent like that. Heat might help, but might also melt the bushings and make it worse. If you can apply heat to just the collar, that might be enough to break it loose for you to gently drive it out. The parts of the engine that it goes through are cast, so they may break easily.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks so much for printout of parts.......Info was great! I finally got it out after twisting and turning it for almost an hour. Had some black film on it that I guess was just enough to keep it from turning smoothly. Works fine now after cleaning it all up and lubricating it.
Thanks again!
By the way, is there a breakdown of parts for the shaft with all the springs on it someplace? I took some photos as i was removing the head but they really don't show the springs and their placement properly.
Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks again
Sloopy

Back