Logo

Missing plug in pivot housing?

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
Not sure of the terminology(or spelling!), but here goes, whilst changing my gear shift cable on a 1988 5.7l cobra for the second time, I noticed that there is a threaded hole on the lower starboard side of the pivot housing, this hole will let water directly into the cavity that the brass end of the shift cable threads into, then would fill the UJ joint bellows? Surely this cant be right can it?<BR>What is this hole for, is it a drain, I have now sealed it up because I dont think its right<BR>Can anyone shed any light?<BR>PS The reason i had to change the cable twice in 2 months was because when I installed the first new one, I didnt remove the pivot housing and whilst tightening the brass end into it, the outer cable became detatched from the brass end(brass bit moved, cable didnt) it worked fine for a while until the leg was trimmed up a few times for transporting, the suddenly failed and stuck in reverse<BR>This time, however, I removed the pivot housing, fitted the cable to the housing on the bench and will refit the whole unit together after pouring some oil down the rubber hose to make it easier to thread the cable up through<BR>It seems that the brass end is internally threaded and the outer cable tightens in on a right hand thread, so when I screwed the brass end into the pivot housing it became loose on the outer cable, wouldnt it be better with an internal left hand thread, so when the brass end is tightened, it woudnt loosen the outer cable? just a thought<BR><BR>Sorry to ramble on a bit, but was it okay to seal up that threaded hole?<BR><BR>many thanks in advance

Cover/plug.Ok to fill.Don't fill too much as you'll be pushing it into the bellcrank and making it sieze or hard to shift.
The port side has a plug no threads.The stbd.side has a small drain plug.
The port side's called the bellcrank plug.It holds the bellcrank bushing in.
It's about $150+ for the little plug.J

Last edited:
Left side is the drain for the water.Right is a plug it's not recomended to remove.Clean it from the inside out.Take the drive off.Remember how it comes off and apart and how many turns on the screw.It actually needs a special tool to set the shift cable.J

Back