Logo

BF50A not running if i don't have the choke on

coonassLA

The engine wont run without the choke pulled out on the engine.. It is most likely the carburetors cause it hasn't been used in a long time. Could I take them out and clean them real good and not have to rebuild them or is it best to rebuild them.

Cleaning is the most like thing that they need.--------------The term " rebuild " is mis-used a lot.---------------Maybe a couple of new o-rings and gaskets.----------------Study how fuel flows thru them so that you only need to do this once.------------We sometimes see posts ---" cleaned the carburetors and motor still runs the same "-------Then days later the post reads took them apart for the third time and really cleaned them and now my motor runs like new.

thanks man.. but where could i find some real good info on the fuel system on the Honda and maybe you could point me in the direction where i could get new o-rings and gaskets

Last edited:
thanks man.. but where could i find some real good info on the fuel system on the Honda and maybe you could point me in the direction where i could get new o-rings and gaskets

Boats.net has a full honda parts catalog. You can get all the carb parts there, you will probably also need gaskets for the mounting plate etc. There are many posts on this site describing just how to clean the carb and what to be carefull about. You can also youtube it. My favorite tip is to squirt brakeclean into the hole where the idle mixture adjust screw is removed and see that it squirts out the holes in the barrel. I missed that one when i did mine the first time.

Back