Logo

2003 BF225 Guage Help!!

rbifi

I recently purchased a 2003 ProKat 2860 WA with twin 2003 BF225. I have a few question for all of you experts out there. I thank you in advance for your responses.

1. I would like to upgrade my guages, NEMA 2000?, digital, linked to garmin 4212? I need sugestions.

2. I need to know what I should look for with common trouble issues with my motors, 380 hours each?

3. Best place to buy service parts?

4. Is there any way to convert the throttle controls to sync to one lever?

Again, thanks for your replies.

There are more experts out there than me. I'm just an owner that has taken a high interest in maintaining this engine, because I plan to get at least 3,000 hours out of it.

1. The 225 does not output NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 signals. Honda didn't start doing that until the 2010 model year. It's a sorry state of affairs and I have been pissed about it since I bought my 2007 BF 225. If you know a good electronics engineer, then it might be possible to figure out the signal protocols used for the Honda digital gauges and translate them to theNMEA 2000 public domain protocols on a simple EPROM and throw them into thenetwork. You wouldn't have to touch the ECM or anything else - just interruptthe signal to the gauges.

2. Maintain them religiously IAW the owners manual. Get one free at http://www.honda-marine.com/owners/OwnerManuals.aspx. Change the plugs every 200 hours instead of the 400 hours suggested in the owners manual. Every time you change the oil (every 100 hours) also change the oil filter, unlike the manual recommends.

I al
so highly recommend investing in the Helm shop manual. They are now available through eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-BF200...anuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbc819c52. $115.00 with free shipping.

As for things to look for.

a. Check with Honda-Marine to see if your exhaust tubes have been replaced with modified ones based on Honda Service Bulletin #56. If you send me an e-mail at [email protected], I'll send you a copy of SB #56.
b. As a matter of good maintenance, change the impeller every year or every 400 hours, whichever comes first. Personally, I change the entire water pump out as opposed to just the impeller. It doesn't cost that much more than the kit, and it's easier to install.
c. On some of the older models, folks have had trouble with the drive shaft intermediate bearing failing, and actually eating through the lower casing, especially with the XXA and XXCA types with the 30" shafts. The next time you pull the lower unit to change the impeller, do a thorough inspection of the intermediate shaft bearing and replace it if necessary.
d. If your boat is not already equipped with them, install Racor 10 micron fuel-water seperators in the fuel line before the pump-up bulb. I use the ones with the clear bottom and screw-in drain. Drain them often.
e. There have been many discussions on whether to use synthetic oil or petroleum-based oil on this site. I stick with the petroleum-based oil since you should be changing the oil every 100 hours, regardless of type.
f. The most frequent complaint I have seen on this forum and others is the O2 sensor failing. This is especially true for pre-2007 engines (like yours) that still have the original exhaust pipes.
g. The engine puts out some useful ECM/sensor fault codes. You can access those by plugging in a simple connector (Partnumber 070PZ-ZY30100) into the red service connector plug under the electronics cover on your engine, and counting the blinks on your MIL light at your keyswitch. In an emergency, you can use a paper clip to shunt the lime-green & white wire to the black wire on the service connector plug. A full list of fault codes are available in the shop manual.

3. Best place to buy service parts - this site - Marineengine.com. NAPA carries some parts, and I have found that the NAPA oil filters seem to perform better than the Honda ones.

4. Can't help on converting and sync'ing the throttle levers. However, it it were my boat, I sure would want to keep them seperate in case one failed, or I needed to make compensations for a sick engine. Aristakat, on this sight, has a duel 225 setup. Perhaps he can jump in on this discussion.

Hope this helps.

Chawk man, thanks for your reply, I have sent you an email for the bulletin. Do you know of or recommend any replace gauges I can use to upgrade my setup? One of my tachs and both fuel gauges are jumping all over the place.

I replied to your e-mail and sent the bulletin.

What kind of gauges do you have now? Digital or analog? Are they Honda gauges? If so, you should replace with Honda gauges. You can see all sorts of gauges and gauge packages at www.Honda-marine.com. However, fuel level gauges are pretty universal (and notoriously inaccurate.) But, if they are "jumping all over the place" I suspect you have another problem - hopefully, it is just a loose connection or a corroded power line. Often times, it is the ground wire(s) that is the problem, or the connection to the float switch on the top of your fuel tank. Get in there and check all connections and test for proper, consistent power to the gauges. The tach is fed by the ECM. I think it is a grey wire, but check it. If the tach is misbehaving after you have assured yourself that you have good ground to the gauge, then it may be a problem at the ECM or in the wiring to the ECM, possibly in the harness.

Given the notorious inaccuracy of fuel level gauges, I highly recomment you install a fuel flow gauge. That is far more accurate and allows you to trim out your engines for optimum fuel economy at cruise speeds. My fuel flow gauge is always within +/- 2.0 gallons on a 80 to 100 gallon fillup. You'll need to get into the wiring diagrams to figure how to hook that up properly to your particular harness.

pm if you have more questions
1 check and re grease threads with anit seize on sparkplug threads every 6 months
2 If alarm goes off around idle and resets with turning on and off more then likely o2 sensor, best way to advoid having go bad is thu service bullentin #56 and when coming down from plane I tilt motor up so as not to allow water to come in thru exhaust ports or when backing off trailer or loading tilt motors up some.
3 switched plastic boot that guarded cables coming from boat to motor to zipper sunbrella material before water satyed in boot and rusted cables..
4. change water pump or regrease yearly
5 got spark plugs from local NAPA dealer was a tad bit cheaper then boats.net all else I get from them

above is some of things I have had happen

Aristakat - He asked about controls on a dual set up like your - his item 4 in his original post. I couldn't give him any advice on that. Thought maybe you could.

Back