Logo

2004 DF 90 starving for fuel

tmc46

The motor runs fine at idle speed but when I increase the throttle engine runs like it is starving for fuel. RPM fluctsuates. Two weeks ago when I first had this prolblem It only ran this was for about a minute and then cleared up, but this week it ran erratically just about the whole time, except at low rpm. I have a water seperator and there is no water in the bowl. Fuel lines seem to be ok as well. Any help in this matter would be very much welcomed.:cool:

I had a similar problem with a 2006 DF140 that I bought in July. The boat is a 2005 with 15 hours total. It sat for long periods of time. It would idle fine but as it reached 2400RPM it would miss and sputter like it was starving for fuel. I had the injectors removed and cleaned. There was some obstruction, but it did not solve the problem. My problem ended up being contaminated fuel being in the VST tank. Rather than have it removed,I flushed it with carb cleaner in an involved process, and that ultimately solved the problem. I had to do it twice, but it finally cured it. When I flushed it out , you can't imagine what sort of trash came out. That debris was gathering on the inlet screen on the intake side of the high pressure fuel pump and restricting the fuel flow. Good luck!

How did you flush the vst tank? I believe it has a drain tube and drain screw, is that where you flushed the fuel vapor separator?

To be able to flow fuel through the VST to flush it, this is what I did. I disconnected the the return fuel line from the bottom of the fuel rail. This hose flows unused fuel back into the VST tank. I plugged the fitting where it attaches to the bottom of the fuel rail using a piece of 3/8 fuel hose with a 3/8 bolt inserted in to it to plug it up. I then used a can of carb cleaner with the small "straw" tube (like on WD40) to spray the carb cleaner up through the open drain line into the VST tank. When I had sprayed as much as I could, I then blew air through the return fuel line to flush the carb cleaner back out of the open drain line. When I did out came a lot of sediment which looked like rust. But I was told by a Suzuki guru, that it was oxidized fuel. At any rate, I did this process several times and now the engine runs like new. I hope I have made the process clear. If not, let me know if you have any questions. If you try this let me know how it turns out.

it also can be a problem with the ECM . did you try the lambda feedback procedure ??
because you have tot do that every few years

Thank you again for all your help. The problem I had was corrected by replacing the low pressure fuel filter. Again thank you!!!!!!
To be able to flow fuel through the VST to flush it, this is what I did. I disconnected the the return fuel line from the bottom of the fuel rail. This hose flows unused fuel back into the VST tank. I plugged the fitting where it attaches to the bottom of the fuel rail using a piece of 3/8 fuel hose with a 3/8 bolt inserted in to it to plug it up. I then used a can of carb cleaner with the small "straw" tube (like on WD40) to spray the carb cleaner up through the open drain line into the VST tank. When I had sprayed as much as I could, I then blew air through the return fuel line to flush the carb cleaner back out of the open drain line. When I did out came a lot of sediment which looked like rust. But I was told by a Suzuki guru, that it was oxidized fuel. At any rate, I did this process several times and now the engine runs like new. I hope I have made the process clear. If not, let me know if you have any questions. If you try this let me know how it turns out.

Back