Logo

winterzing mistake question

JackB1

After a long final day of boating I began winterizing my boat and Honda 75. I had cleaned the boat then worked on the motor changing the oil, flushing with Saltaway and drained the carbs. I then pulled each plug and sprayed fogging oil in each cylinder. After reinserting the plugs I decided that I would crank it over just a second to distribute the oil in the cylinders. The fuel line was disconnected and of course all carbs were drained. To my surprise she started right up. I shut it off almost instantly but was too beat to start the fogging process again. Considering the motor just ran for a couple seconds is there any need to do so?
It also got me thinking of whether it is better to run the motor dry rather than drain each carb as recommended in the owners manual? There was gas in there somewhere.
I also forgot what the idle setting was if someone could help out there. It is currently set at 950rpm.

I guess I would re-fog it since the combusion chambers have fired at least once, greatly depreciating the benefit of the fogging. Not that familiar with the 75, but 950 RPM at idle sounds entirely too high. I think normal is between 650 and 750 RPM. Check your owners manual. Alternatively, Hondadude or Jimmy can probably confirm that, since they both seem to know that engine well.

Actually, you'll probably need to wait on hondadude for the rpm setting as I don't have that info. 950 sounds ok to me as long as you can live with it. I always adjust mine a bit higher than the book might say to avoid the engine "loading" while going slow.

As far as not draining your carbs, I would NOT recommend that you stop draining them. The bottom of the fuel bowls is where the old fuel will settle and you will definitely have problems if you let that happen. If you decided to run the engine until it stops and THEN drain the fuel bowls, I really couldn't argue with that but DO NOT stop draining the carbs.

Something you might also consider is that if the fogger you're using is combustible, (they typically are) THAT may have been what the engine started on.

Ditto to what Jimmy said.

Book says idle should be 950 plus/minus 50 in neutral. I also set them a little on the higher side.

Mike

Back