Logo

Finding Model and Serial Number

thebubba

Regular Contributor
I just bought a Chrysler Outboard motor without a cowling and thought it was a Johnson. I cannot seem to find a model or serial number to identify the motor. Where would I locate the model and serial number? It runs like a champ but I have not idea what it is for sure. It appears to be a Chrysler around 6-10 HP white in color around the early 70's to 80's. It has a plastic prop. We used to have a 1985 15Hp that looked very similar to this one.

So I looked the whole motor over and could not find the model or serial number on the outside anywhere. I finally found it attached to the lower cowling on the inside near the spark plugs on a little metal plate. Come to find out it is a 1976 Chrysler 10 HP. Definitely not a Johnson, and getting difficult to find parts for. I think I may take it apart and sell it for parts rather than try to find an upper cowling. There are plenty of outboards out there, and someone may need some parts for their Chrysler. I will stick with my 15HP Evinrude.

So I have discovered a very limited supply of parts at an affordable price for these motors. It is sad because this motor is so clean. I need an upper cowling and parts for the pull rope recoil. They are so extremely expensive if you can find them. I love to resurrect these old motors so others can enjoy them for many more years, but I am afraid this one will need to become an organ donor for others on ebay.

Back