Logo

Lower unit

rickluc

I've got a Honda 2006 BF20D. I removed the lower unit last winter and replaced the water pump propeller. Boat ran good all summer until about mid way thru the summer the boat wouldn't pick up speed. The more you excellerate the engine the slower the boat will move. At an idle (trolling) it moves fine. If I raise the propeller out of the water and watch the revolution of the propeller, the faster the engine runs the slower the propeller rotates. In fact, at full throttle the propeller will hardly be turning. Can someone steer me in the right direction? What should I start looking for inside the lower unit? Thanks

You likely have a spun prop - that is, the adhesion has failed where the rubber bushing attaches to the metal prop. Get another prop and send that one out to be refurbished so you have a spare. In the process, inspect behind the prop to see if there is any fishing line or other debries in there that would have caused the failure.

Can I ask. Its a 3 blade prop. Everybody wants to know pitch. I don't know. It measures approx. 8 inches. 8 spline. Number on prop A3X925X10. Thanks

sounds like what mine has done few times spun prop , they have a prop now that guts our nylon and they can be slid in and replaced on the spot no sending in ... I have counter rotating props so I always carry a extra prop for each motor on boat. I was on another boat and twice he spun prop both time no spare made for long day... I had happen on mine in August and 5 mintues later on the water had it switched out and on my way... Also reccommenmd carrying a plasitic handled prop wrench as well..... Michigan props is what I ahve now

Back