Logo

Not Sure What I Have

426hemi

Contributing Member
I recently acquired an old Thompson Sea Coaster with a 40 HP Johnson that would appear from the cowling design to be a 1965 (pic attached). However, the model number (40363-DA) indicates that it is a 1963 40hp Electric Shift Evinrude. The confusion runs even deeper because I have found owners manuals for both a 63 Evinrude and a 65 Johnson in the boat. Is it possible that I have a "Frankenstein" of some sort. I'm not really worried because it started and ran beautifully in a test tank after 10 years in storage. I'm just curious and will need to know when I go to buy parts. Any help would be appreciated. P.S. This is my first post and I'm really looking forward to participating on this site.

Attachments

• 100_0975.jpg
    100_0975.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0967.jpg
    100_0967.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 35
No need to worry here-----------------there is little if any difference between a 63 or 65 other than cosmetics on the cowling.---------------Electric shift is well engineered and trouble free, just make sure you use the correct oil. Make sure the generator is working. Keep water out of the lower unit.-------Looked at the picture, that motor is not electric shift !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I`m guessing the wiring is a little different between the 63 and 65 there should be a model serial number on the clamp bracket below where the steering connects. It is just an manual shift in the pic and it is also the long shaft. after the engine warms up does it spit water out the upper hole just below the cover where the exhaust goes out. The water needs to be hot coming out if no water the pump may need an impeller if the water comes out warm the thermostat is stuck open. You want no water to come out until the engine warms up. After sitting for some time the thermostat tends to go wacky but somtimes you can just pull it out and soak it in WD-40 until it starts moving again with finger pressure just to get by until you find a new one. Those engines are pretty much bullet proof when maintained proper just make sure the cooling system is working good before you take it out. Check the compression, keep a spare set of plugs and a prop when you go out along with tools and a cone, pin and cotter key those old props have a tendency to spin on the hub with a healthy engine at WOT.

Thanks for the info and advice. The next time I have a chance to run the 40 in a tank I'll check the exhaust out as you suggest. I did notice that water was coming out the upper exhaust port but I didn't check the water temperature or notice when it started. Thanks again.

Back