Logo

Honda BF50A3 Top Carb Flooding

brunsonc

So, I have a 50hp Honda. When trying to crank it, the top carb floods if it is left to sit for more than two days. If I drain the top carb, crank it up again and run it at high rpm for a short time, it will quit flooding and will crank perfectly for the next day or two. From what I have read, it sounds like a needle valve problem. I have pulled the carb and checked the needle and float and both looked fine to me, but I am no mechanic. Could it be that the needle valve seats need to be polished or cleaned? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

I would inspect and blow out the line feeding fuel to the top carburetor.---Dirt ?????-------------Or just replace the needle and seat and set the float properly.

I will check the top fuel line this afternoon....I have ordered a needle valve, but isn't the seat a solid part of the carburetor? I did not see a part number for it, only for the needle valve. Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

UPDATE: I replaced the needle valve in the top carburetor, polished the seat, replaced gaskets, and cleaned the jets. Once I got everything put back together I started it up in a test tank to let it warm up for a carb sync, and now the middle carb was spewing fuel from the vent. I shut it off and let it sit long enough to have a beer and try to figure out what the heck was going on. Started it up again in the test tank and there was no flooding from any of the carbs, I sync'd the carbs and she idled awesome. Took her out for a run the next day and she ran great.......But, I'm still wondering why in the world the second carb was flooding once I fixed the top carb? Even though it hasn't done it anymore, I'm afraid that if I let it sit for a couple of days, it will start flooding again.

You may have jarred loose some debris loose that kept the needle from seating. You may also have knocked something out of place when you were moving everything around. It happens....

If you do not use some form of fuel treatment...you should start. Regular treatment of Sea Foam, Pri-g, Stabil Marine, etc will keep you fuel stabilized and will also help clean the passages and surfaces inside your carburators. Sea Foam and PRi will also decarbonize your engine over time. Sound like "Snake Oil"...but they really work if you use them regularly.

Mike

UPDATE #2: I'm still having the same issue with fuel spewing from the vent on the middle carb. Like I posted earlier, it will only do this if I don't crank it up for a few days in a row. But once it quits spewing fuel, it cranks fine and is good to go for a few days. I did notice the other day that when I remove the fuel line from the motor, the flooding stops and it runs fine. But as soon as I reconnect it, it starts to flood again. This doesn't make any sense to me, maybe one of you guys?

Re-visit work on the float and float valve.--------Closely inspect everything including hoses that lead to the carburetor..

Back