Logo

Honda 200 will not start

DarBaker

I am new here and would like some ideas. I have a used boat 2007 model just purchased about a month ago. Brought the engine to a dealer before purchase and they told me that the unit only had 13 hours on the motor never been WOT and the engine looks like it was in good condition. The engine has been starting up fine and running fine no problems what so ever. Was out fishing with the wife running around and starting and stopping the engine and then just a no start condition. Spins over but will not start. Not a sputter hickup or anything just spins over. The engine is a 2007 honda 200 I checked the safety lanyard and the button is like it is supposed to be cause we got caught with that one.. (duh).. I really havent tried any thing else. Any ideas any one?? A service center is just down the street and I will probably take it to them. Just asking if any one has had that problem before and the fix...

First of all.... download this owner's manual from Honda, if you do not already have one. http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY26100.pdf

Starting at page 85, it goes through a whole list of things to check when this happens.

You already have the safety landyard covered...don't feel bad....everyone has done it.

I would check the fuel... make sure the squeeze bulb will squeeze until it is hard.
Pour some of the fuel into a glass jar and check for water and its quality.

Also, check all the fuses.

When you turn your key switch to on, you should get two beeps from the alert horn and all of the warning lights (you should have four) should go on for 2 seconds then go off....except for the battery light...it should stay on. At the same time have someone stand by the rear of the motor with the hood off and listen for the whirring of the fuel pump for the two seconds.

If you do not get the lights, etc, then you have an electrical issue.

If you get lost on troubleshooting when you get beyond checking fuses, it sounds like a trip down the street could be in order.

I would definitely do the step by steps in the owner's manual. You may find something simple.

Let us know what you or the dealer find.

Mike

Thanks for your help hondadude, I down loaded the info and made a few checks. Well it ended up being the ignition switch assembly. Corrosion was the culprit. Seems that the dash panel was removed before and the panel was not sealed after the repairs. I brought it to a local repair shop less than half a mile away.

Back