Logo

Honda 20 idles roughly and cuts out until warm

Wolf island

My Honda 20 will not run smoothly until it has warmed up which takes about 5 minutes in cooler weather. In the summertime, I don't notice it but once it gets cooler out, it has become a problem.

It sounds like your start path in the carburator is plugged up. Happens a lot if you do not use fuel treatment and do not drain the carb bowl.

If you are going to clean it, pay close attention to all the small holes in the bottom of the bowl. Also, make sure the skinny brass tube (none removable ) up to the bistarter (part 15 if you have electric start http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2007%20and%20Later/BF20DK0%20SHTA%20VIN%23%20BAMJ-1400001/CARBURETOR%20%28AUTO%29/parts.html) or (part 12 if you have a pull start http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...# BAMJ-1400001/CARBURETOR (MANUAL)/parts.html ) is clear as well as the air passages at the top.

Mike

Dale Carson is right.

I was assuming your stalling occurs as it is warming up and before you put it into gear...then it is a carb issue.

If you are starting it and immediately putting it into gear and expect to go, it will stall. Then it is an operations issue.

It does have to warm up before you can go.

If you have the manual/pull start motor, you can pull the choke (although, it really is not a choke) out a little and cheat the system. I expect that you have electric start.

The waiting until warm applies to any fourstroke motor with this type of starting system. There are many Yamaha's and Mercury's that have this same type of setup...and you have to wait for them too.

Mike

It is only prudent boat handling to allow the engine to warm before starting out. Relying on a cold outboard or any marine engine to stay running, especially in a tight quarters or busy waterway situation, is only inviting disaster.

But, when all's been said and done, I don't view the Honda as any more "cold blooded" than any other outboard I've ever operated.
Just my $0.02

Back